By request from the Downtown Victoria Business Association (DVBA), the City of Victoria has proclaimed October 2020 to be Small Business Month; so let’s celebrate our favourite local small businesses!
It’s no secret that downtown Victoria is host to a wide array of incredible businesses; so much so, that there’s a little something for everyone!
Which is exactly why we’re celebrating Small Business Month this October in a big way with the help of the Downtown Victoria Business Association – by giving away $100 gift cards to 10 lucky winners – to the local downtown business of their choice.
Downtown businesses are the heart and soul of our city and have continued to offer their services despite the ongoing pandemic, many with modifications like online shopping, new local delivery, and take-out and delivery options for restaurants.
All businesses are also carefully following safety protocols, so you can visit downtown in person without sacrificing your personal safety.
As Downtown Victoria has re-opened for business, local shop owners needs our help. The future of many local small businesses is uncertain, they need our support so that they can keep providing the great products and services we all love.
Aside from shopping in person, there a ton of other ways you can show your local love to your favourite shops – check them out below!
Here’s a list of ways you can help out your favourite shops:
- Buy a gift card – Even if you’re not going to use it right away! Tuck it away for a rainy day, or plan that perfect date night for when this all blows over – most places you can purchase them online.
- Order take out or delivery – Doordash and Uber Eats offer delivery options for many local downtown eateries! Take a look at this list of DVBA’s businesses and see if you your favourite is on there.
- Shop local online – You can buy more than clothes! Capital Iron and the Zero Waste Emporium offer online shopping for example, and many places in Victoria are reducing or removing shipping fees.
- Like, follow, share! – The easiest and cheapest way to spread the word about your favourite local business is to support them on social media! Give them a follow, a like or even share any special promotions they have going on right now.
- Send a note to say ‘I love you’, or ‘I miss you’ – It’s times like these when you realize there are names and faces behind your favourite shops! Sending a note just to say you appreciate them and hope they’re doing well during these unprecedented times could go a long way – and would probably make their day!
- Write a positive review – Did you have a great experience at a local establishment before they shut their doors? Let the world know! You could inspire others to check them out too, once business is as usual once more.
If you’re looking to support local this Small Business Month and win some shopping cash while you’re at it, take a look at the contest steps below – we’re giving away $100 gift cards to TEN lucky winners, and you can enter on either Facebook OR Instagram!
To enter for your chance to win a $100 gift card to your favourite downtown business, complete the following on Facebook:
- LIKE DVBA on Facebook and comment below to let us know you have. (1 entry)
- SHARE this article on Facebook and comment below to let us know you have. (1 entry)
- TAG your favourite downtown Victoria business in the comment section below (1 entry)
To enter for your chance to win a $100 gift card to your favourite downtown business, head over to our Instagram page and complete the following:
- LIKE the post on Instagram (1 entry)
- FOLLOW @downtownvictoriabc on Instagram (1 entry)
- TAG your favourite downtown Victoria business in the comment section of the Instagram post
Contest entries will be accepted from the time and date of publishing until 11:59 pm on October 31st, 2020. One winner will be chosen at random and contacted through the platform they used to enter. Make sure to register when commenting below.