Island Health has declared an outbreak of COVID-19 at a long-term care facility in the Victoria area.
Veterans Memorial Lodge long-term, located at 4579 Chatterton Way in Saanich, is now the latest of 54 active outbreaks in the province’s long-term care homes.
According to Island Health, only one staff member has tested positive for COVID-19 to date and the outbreak is limited to just one unit in the facility, however, Veterans Memorial Lodge is currently closed to admissions.
Communication with residents, families and staff is underway.
The health authority says the staff member who tested positive is self-isolating at home.
“Enhanced control measures have been put in place at the site. Island Health is working with Veterans Memorial Lodge leadership and staff to identify anyone who may have been exposed and is taking steps to protect the health of all staff, residents and families,” Island Health said in a statement.
The following measures have been proactively implemented at the site:
- Staffing levels will be maintained to provide resident care
- Visitors are on hold for all residents at Veterans Memorial Lodge
- Staff and resident movement in the care home has been limited
- Cleaning and infection control measures have been enhanced
- Residents, families and staff are being notified
- Ongoing screening protocols for staff and residents are in place, including temperature monitoring.
As of this publication, there have been a total of 571 cases of COVID-19 in the region, six of whom have died. Five people in the region are currently in hospital and one person is in ICU after contracting the virus.
Island Health reports that as of Friday, November 27, there are 183 active cases in the region.
- South Vancouver Island Active cases: 45 (-1) Total Cases: 183 (+6)
- Central Vancouver Island Active cases: 112 (+4) Total Cases: 256 (+11)
- North Vancouver Island Active cases: 26 (+10) Total Cases: 132 (+10)
Veterans Memorial Lodge is a non-profit care home operated by Broadmead Care.