Saanich Peninsula Hospital

Another person has lost their life to COVID-19 as a result of an ongoing outbreak at Saanich Peninsula Hospital.

Island Health confirmed in an email to Victoria Buzz that the COVID-19 death reported over the weekend in the region was linked to the outbreak at the hospital.

The health authority said they will not be releasing any further information about this individual out of respect for their privacy.

This is the fourth person to die in the outbreak at Saanich Peninsula Hospital.

“Our hearts are with the families, and care teams at Saanich Peninsula Hospital with an additional loss of life of a person associated with the outbreak over the weekend. We grieve alongside you at this incredibly difficult time,” said Island Health President and CEO Kathy MacNeil, in the statement.

So far, there have been 22 confirmed cases of the virus linked to the hospital. No further cases were detected over the weekend.

The outbreak was declared on December 1, and it remains limited to acute care areas of the hospital.

Laboratory service outpatient collections have been temporarily relocated to the lab at 2140A Keating Cross Road, and can be accessed Monday to Friday 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Patients in acute care are being closely monitored for symptoms, while patient and staff testing continues.

Acute admissions to the hospital are not being accepted. Emergency care remains available and anyone in need can visit the emergency room immediately.

Other outpatient services including medical imaging and day surgery remain open and it is safe for the public to access these services.

Subscribe to the Victoria Buzz newsletter to receive the latest news, events and more directly to your inbox. Every day.