A house fire in Saanich Tuesday morning claimed the life of a cat after the pet suffered heavy smoke inhalation.
The fire broke out late in the morning on January 26th at a residence in the 4500 block of Chatterton Way.
Crews from the Saanich Fire Department responded and were on scene shortly after 10 a.m., according to a tweet from the department’s account.
Saanich crews on scene 4500 Block Chatterton Way. Fire contained to a single unit. No injuries on scene. All residents have been evacuated. RH pic.twitter.com/fGRiF3h609
— Saanich Fire (@SaanichFire) January 26, 2021
Firefighters contained the blaze to the living room of the home and were able to extinguish it completely less than an hour later.
Two cats were rescued and treated on scene. A third cat perished after it was exposed to heavy smoke.
No other injuries were reported and residents were able to safely evacuate.