Island Health have declared a COVID-19 outbreak at an assisted-living facility in Duncan.
According to the health authority, one staff member at the Ts’i’ts’uwatul’ Lelum assisted living facility tested positive for the virus.
The infected worker has been self-isolating at home while public health officials complete contact tracing to identify other staff or residents who were potentially exposed to the virus.
No other residents of the facility have reported symptoms at this time, however, anyone with close contact to the staff member will be tested for COVID-19.
The following measures have been proactively implemented at the facility:
- Enhanced use of personal protective equipment;
- Recreation activities have been postponed;
- Interactions between residents will be significantly reduced;
- Dining in common areas will be stopped and residents will be served meals in their rooms;
- Residents deemed close contacts will be supported to self-isolate;
- Admissions and transfers will be stopped.
Ts’i’ts’uwatul’ Lelum is owned and operated by M’akola Housing Society and is comprised of 50 self-contained apartment-style units, specifically designed for Elders and persons with disabilities.