With mass vaccinations about to begin next week, Island Health has released a list of locations where residents can get their first COVID-19 vaccine.
On Monday, March 1st, the BC government declared that Phase 2 for vaccine rollout is in effect.
Phase 2 expands the populations of people who can receive a COVID-19 vaccine to protect the most vulnerable, protect the health care system, and control outbreaks; it was meant to roll out in February but was delayed due to a supply shortage.
Priority will be given to those who haven’t been vaccinated from Phase 1 yet.
Beginning on March 8th, seniors over the age of 90 and indigenous people that are 65 and over who receive home support services or live in an independent living or a seniors’ supportive housing facility, will be able to call Island Health to book their vaccination appointment in their community. Immunization appointments will begin on March 15th.
March’s immunization plan breaks down like this:
Year of birth in or before 1931 (90+ seniors) / Year of birth in or before 1956 for Indigenous people
- Registration will open on March 8th
- Immunizations begin on March 15th
Year of birth in or before 1936 (85+ seniors)
- Registration will open on March 15th
- Immunizations begin on March 22nd
Year of birth in or before 1941 (80+ seniors)
- Registration will open on March 22nd
- Immunizations begin on March 29th
Here is the latest list of vaccination centres across Vancouver Island:
The list of locations was made available for a short amount of time on Wednesday but have since been removed while Island Health updates the list. Island Health told Victoria Buzz the official list will be made available in the coming dates.
- Victoria – University of Victoria – McKinnon Building (11 Gabriola Road)
- Langford – Eagle Ridge Arena (1089 Langford Parkway)
- Esquimalt – Archie Browning Sports Centre (1151 Esquimalt Road)
- Sidney – Mary Winspear Centre (2243 Beacon Avenue)
- Sooke – Seaparc Leisure Complex (2168 Phillips Road)
- Sooke – Sooke Health Unit (104 – 6672 Wadams Way)
- Campbell River – Campbell River Community Centre (401 11 Avenue)
- Comox – CFB Comox – Glacier Gardens Arena (1399 Military Row)
- Duncan – Cowichan Community Centre (2687 James Street)
- Nanaimo – Beban Park (2300 Bowen Road)
- Nanaimo – Cedar Community Hall (2388 Cedar Road)
- Port Alberni – Alberni Athletic Hall (3727 Roger Street)
- Port Hardy – Port Hardy Health Unit (7070 Market Street)
- Port McNeill – Port McNeill Health Unit (1775 Grenville Place)
- Salt Spring Island – Salt Spring Island Health Unit (160 Fulford-Ganges Road)
- Tofino – Tofino Public Health Unit (265 First Street)
Booking an appointment for a vaccine
Island Health is asking people to only call in when they’re eligible. If you miss your initial age-based dates, you can call anytime after you become eligible.
The call centre will be open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. daily. The number to call is 1-833-348-4787.