(Victoria Buzz)

A mattress fire at a residence in Sidney on Saturday evening resulted in one person being transported to hospital, according to a witness.

At around 8 p.m. on April 3rd, Sidney Fire Department along with multiple emergency crews responded to a fire that reportedly originated in a basement suite on Bradford Avenue.

A witness who lives two doors down from where the blaze occurred, Olivia Clarke, told Victoria Buzz that a man returned home to his residence to find it filled with smoke.

Upon checking with his roommate downstairs, he found that a mattress had been set ablaze, and the roommate appeared to be heavily intoxicated.

The intoxicated man was reportedly treated for smoke inhalation on scene, and transported to hospital with possible burns from the fire.

The witness adds that an elderly woman also shares the residence with the two men, but was able to escape without injuries, along with a dog.

Emergency crews were able to contain the blaze to the one suite, though still remain on scene.

Victoria Buzz has reached out to Sidney Fire Department for more information.

Subscribe to the Victoria Buzz newsletter to receive the latest news, events and more directly to your inbox. Every day.