A GoFundMe has been set up for the victims of a grease fire late last week that destroyed their home.
On April 30th, around 5 p.m., Saanich Fire crews were called to a residential structure fire in the 4200 block of Ponderosa Crescent.
By 6 p.m. emergency crews had extinguished the fire and attended to the occupants who suffered non-life threatening injuries and minor smoke inhalation.
According to Saanich Fire, crews “fast attacked” the fire, containing it to the ground floor level and limiting its spread.
The fire was immediately deemed not suspicious.
Crews have extinguished a residential structure fire in the 4200 block of Ponderosa Crescent. Minor smoke inhalation by occupants. Fire is not suspicious. Fast attack contained fire to ground floor. BH pic.twitter.com/GStAn6mifK
— Saanich Fire Department (@SaanichFire) May 1, 2021
A fundraiser has been set up by the victims’ sister, Erin Beattie, with a goal of $10,000 for the victims —mother, Amber Beattie, and daughter, Makayla Beattie.
According to the fundraiser, due to the age of the building, asbestos has contaminated the victims’ belongings and restoration is expected to take six months.
“Insurance will cover some of the cost of accommodations during this time but that amount is limited. With nothing but the clothes on their backs, Amber [the victim] is still expected to pay rent within the Co-Op during this time,” said the GoFundMe.
As of this publication the fundraiser has raised over $6,000 for the victim and her daughter to help cover costs.
“Victims of fires are left with tremendous costs to replace a lifetime of belongings, not to mention the emotional stress and mental anguish of being without a home,’ said the fundraising page.
“We are hoping to alleviate some of the burden of this by reaching out for help. We know that nothing will be able to replace the priceless items and keepsakes within the home but anything we can do to help we will.”
Donate to the fundraiser here.