BC has confirmed the province is moving ahead with Stage 2 of their reopening plan starting on Tuesday, June 15th.
In a press conference on Monday, June 14th, BC health officials announced the decision to move ahead with fewer restrictions on travel, indoor and outdoor gatherings, and reopening movie theatres and fitness classes.
BC announced that more than 75% of adults are vaccinated with their first dose, exceeding the target Step 2 minimum threshold of 65% of the 18+ population vaccinated with one dose.
BC announced its success with the decline of case counts, ICU admissions, and hospitalizations, prompting the move to Stage 2.
“Thanks to our collective efforts and commitment to get vaccinated, we are ready to take another step forward in our careful restart,” said Premier John Horgan.
“This next step means seeing more of the people we love, visiting more of our favourite places and safely celebrating the major milestones we’ve missed. Better days are in sight, but we must continue to do our part, get vaccinated, keep our layers of protection strong and work together to put this pandemic behind us.”
Here’s the breakdown of Step 2:
- Maximum of 50 people for outdoor social gatherings such as birthdays, BBQs, etc.
- Maximum of 50 people for seated indoor organized gatherings (banquet halls, movie theatres, live theatre) with safety protocols
- No B.C. travel restrictions ʹcheck local travel advisories
- Indoor sports (games) and high-intensity fitness with safety protocols
Spectators for outdoor sports (50 maximum)
- Indoor faith gatherings – a maximum of 50 people, or 10% of a place of worship’s total capacity, whichever number is greater – with safety plans
- Liquor service at restaurants, bars and pubs extended until midnight
- Provincewide mask mandate, business safety protocols, and physical distancing measures remain in place.
Stage 3 of BC Restart Plan:
Step 3 of the BC Restart Plan is expected to take on July 1st which will see the following:
- Provincial state of emergency and public health emergency lifted
- Returning to usual for indoor and outdoor personal gatherings
- Increased capacity for indoor and outdoor organized gatherings, with safety plans
- Nightclubs and casinos reopened with capacity limits and safety plans
New public health and workplace guidance around personal protective equipment, physical distancing, and business protocols.
The criteria for moving to Step 3 is at least 70% of the 18+ population vaccinated with at least one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine, along with declining case counts and COVID-19 hospitalizations.
Step 4 of BC Restart Plan:
Stage 4 will see a return to normal social contact, increased capacity at larger organized gatherings, and businesses operating with new safety protocols.
- Returning to normal social contact
- Increased capacity at larger organized gatherings
- No limits on indoor and outdoor spectators at sports
- Businesses operating with new safety plans.
See the full breakdown here:
Although the stages have been announced, it is important to remain patient and follow the guidelines and restrictions in place. Follow mask guidance, stay home and get tested when you’re sick and consider others in your decisions.