VicPD are reminding members of the community who use cannabis products to safely store them after five children accidentally ingested cannabis-infused gummies last weekend.

On Friday, July 16th, at a barbecue, parents called 911 and took their children to hospital after they discovered their children had accidently ingested THC gummies – the psychoactive chemical in cannabis.

According to VicPD, parents at the barbecue started to notice their children were acting oddly.

When the children were questioned, they said they had eaten candy they found while playing in a room.

The parents soon discovered that the “candy” ingested were THC gummies, and immediately called 911.

The children, all under the age of 10, were brought to hospital where they were observed and later released.

Foul play is not suspected.

Investigating officers located the gummies bag which closely resembles the packaging of a popular gummy candy brand.

VicPD said that while the use of cannabis products is permitted under provincial and federal law in Canada, given the close resemblance of some products to non-cannabis products, they are urging those who use cannabis products to safely store them out of the reach of inquisitive children.

No charges are anticipated.

Subscribe to the Victoria Buzz newsletter to receive the latest news, events and more directly to your inbox. Every day.