The daughter of a Nanaimo homeless man who was run over and pepper sprayed is raising funds for her father’s recovery and well-being.
Kayleen Salter identified her father, 45-year-old Charles Samuel Salter, as the victim of the shocking attack on July 10th that has left him in hospital with serious injuries.
The GoFundMe initially began as a fundraiser for Kayleen and her brother to visit her father from Alberta —where they live — to Victoria — where Charles is being treated in hospital.
The victim has been in hospital and, according to the fundraiser, has multiple broken bones and requires an intubator to help him breathe, preventing him from being able to communicate verbally.
Kayleen said she is expecting her second child and that this unfortunate event has shocked both her and her family financially and emotionally.
The fundraiser has now reached more than triple of its $2,500 goal and future donations will be “going into a trust fund to help support his recovery,” read the fundraiser.
“My brother and I would like to go see our father and show him that regardless of his choices that led him to being on the street, we still love him and want him to recover in time. He has a very long journey ahead of him in regards to recovery and I want to be there with him.”
On Saturday July 10th, Salter was accosted by a group of people inside a black car while he pushed a shopping cart along Victoria Avenue near 102nd Street earlier this month.
Constable Gary O’Brien of the Nanaimo RCMP said the act was “extremely troubling.”
“This incident is extremely troubling as it appears from all accounts the victim was targeted for being a marginalized person,” said O’Brien.
Nanaimo RCMP have yet to provide any new updates on potential suspects.
The fundraiser has now raised over $10,000 for the victim.
“Now that my GoFundMe has blown up so incredibly, all donations that are being made, since I hit my goal, are going into a trust fund to help support his recovery,” read the fundraiser.
To donate to the GoFundMe follow the link here.