Multiple schools on Vancouver Island experienced a COVID-19 exposure during the first week of school, according to an independent tracker.
BC School Covid Tracker is an online platform that gathers data from parents who have received official notifications from schools as well as message correspondence from exposed individuals.
Eight of the schools, which opened for the year on Tuesday, September 7th, were added to the list Sunday morning.
The database is then confirmed by an official public health letter, school letter, or BCCDC website.
As of this publication, the following schools were listed on the tracker:
- Lake Hill Elementary – Victoria
- Sir James Douglas Elementary – Victoria
- Monterey Middle School – Victoria
- Journey Middle School – Sooke
- Frances Kelsey Secondary School – Mill Bay
- Bench Elementary – Cobble Hill
- Cowichan Secondary – Duncan
- Quamichan School – Duncan
- Drinkwater Elementary – Duncan
- Departure Bay Elementary – Nanaimo
- Sandowne Elementary – Campbell River
There are currently no schools listed with outbreaks on the Island Health website which the health authority states the page will only be updated if a cluster or outbreak at a school is declared.
As of this publication, there are 5,850 active cases in BC with 539 of those cases being in the Island Health region.