Central Saanich Police had a busy Labour Day long weekend after logging nearly thirty calls for service; which included nine incidents alone at the Saanich Fair.
Sadly, one of those incidents included the death of a man at the Saanich Fairgrounds on Stelly’s Cross Road.
In a media release, Central Saanich Police said officers responded to a man in medical distress and is now being investigated by the BC Coroner’s Service.
Other incidents at the fair included the following:
- One missing child who was located quickly. The Saanich Fair Grounds alerted police on site after closing the gates until the child was found and returned to family members. Police said the fair staff did an excellent job developing and implementing lost child safety protocols
- One dog overheating inside a vehicle. The owner was located quickly to tend to the dog and given a warning
- Two assaults, both isolated incidents with officers still investigating and seeking witness information/video/images
- One impaired driver was given a 90-day immediate roadside prohibition, with the vehicle impounded for 30 days
- One lost or stolen camera
Police are seeking additional information related to the two assaults which they described as “isolated incidents”.
The first incident occurred on Sunday, September 5th, at 8:45 p.m., a 17-year-old man was assaulted by an unknown man on the carpet slide ride.
The following day, on Monday, September 6th, at 3:50 p.m., a man in his late thirties was assaulted by another man at the midway.
Anyone with information on those assaults should call Central Saanich Police at 250-652-4441.
On top of the incidents at the fair, police also removed five impaired drivers off the road.