The BC Ministry of Health reported 768 new cases of COVID-19 on Friday, September 17th.
There have been 177,954 cases of COVID-19 since the pandemic began.
New cases were reported in these health regions:
- Vancouver Coastal Health: 83
- Fraser Health: 239
- Island Health: 102
- Interior Health: 183
- Northern Health: 161
- Resident outside Canada: 0
There are currently 6,031 active cases of COVID-19 in the province.
169,653 people who tested positive have recovered.
There are now a total of 298 people in hospital due to COVID-19, 135 of whom are in critical care — ICU or acute care units.
11 new people have died from COVID-related causes, making the provincial death toll 1,888.
Data by Vaccination Status:
From September 9th to 15th, people not fully vaccinated accounted for 75.9% of cases. From September 2nd to 15th they accounted for 86.2% of hospitalizations.
Past week cases (Sept. 9th to 15th):
- Total: 4,804
- Not vaccinated: 3288 (68.4%)
- Partially vaccinated: 358 (7.5%)
- Fully vaccinated: 1,158 (24.1%)
Past two weeks cases hospitalized (September 2nd to 15th):
- Total: 384
- Not vaccinated: 310 (80.7%)
- Partially vaccinated: 21 (5.5%)
- Fully vaccinated: 53 (13.8%)
Past week, cases per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (September 9th to 15th):
- Not vaccinated: 312.9
- Partially vaccinated: 91.5
- Fully vaccinated: 29.5
Past two weeks, cases hospitalized per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (September 2nd to 15th):
- Not vaccinated: 43.2
- Partially vaccinated: 8.4
- Fully vaccinated: 1.2
After factoring for age, people not vaccinated are 35.1 times more likely to be hospitalized than those fully vaccinated.
There have been no new health-care facility outbreaks.
The outbreaks at Menno Home (Fraser Health), Opal by Element (Vancouver Coastal Health) and Sunset Lodge (Island Health) have been declared over.
There are a total of 20 active outbreaks, including:
- Long-term Care: Northcrest Care Centre, Westminster House, Menno Terrace East (Fraser Health), Arbutus Care Centre, Louis Brier Home and Hospital (Vancouver Coastal Health), Village at Mill Creek – second floor, Cottonwoods Care Centre, Brookhaven Care Centre, Spring Valley Care Centre, Kamloops Seniors Village, Hillside Village, The Hamlets at Westsyde, Joseph Creek Care Village (Interior Health) and Jubilee Lodge (Northern Health)
- Acute Care: Chilliwack General Hospital (Fraser Health), Fort St. John Hospital (Northern Health) and Kootenay Boundary Regional Hospital (Interior Health)
- Assisted or Independent Living: David Lloyd Jones, Sun Pointe Village and Hardy View Lodge (Interior Health)
Island Health reported 102 new cases of COVID-19 in the Vancouver Island region and 619 active cases.
Breakdown of cases on Vancouver Island:
- South Vancouver Island Active cases: 309 │Total Cases: 3121
- Central Vancouver Island Active cases: 249 │ Total Cases: 3484
- North Vancouver Island Active cases: 61 │Total Cases: 1030
33 people remain in hospital with 13 in ICU.
There have been no new deaths in the Island Health region today, and a total of 58 deaths on Vancouver Island.
To date, 86.5% of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 78.9% have received their second dose.
In addition, 87.0% of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose and 79.8% have received their second dose.
To date, 7,675,294 (+16,851) doses of the COVID-19 vaccine have been administered in BC; 3,659,495 (+7,462) of which are second doses.
Some links include:
- Details on the latest provincial restrictions
- BCCDC information on how to get tested
- Support for mental health and wellbeing
At the time of this publication, 228,253,653 cases of COVID-19 had been recorded worldwide. 4,690,505 have died, and 204,878,727 have recovered.