Island Health has announced the COVID-19 outbreak at Sunset Lodge long-term care home is now over.
On August 27th, three staff members tested positive for COVID-19. In total, 15 staff and 21 residents tested positive for the virus as a result of the outbreak.
Unfortunately, the outbreak also resulted in six resident deaths.
Island Health has implemented several strategies to prevent and respond to COVID-19 in long-term care, acute care, assisted living, and licensed facilities.
Recent rounds of follow-up testing for residents and staff of Sunset Lodge have resulted in negative COVID-19 tests.
As a result of the outbreak being declared over, the following will occur at Sunset Lodge:
- Extensive cleaning, as part of standard end-of-outbreak protocols
- Social visits will resume on the first and second floor on September 17th
- Social visits will resume on the third floor on September 20th
- Admissions and transfers will resume on September 20th
- Resident movement around the home will resume
- Diligent infection prevention measures and appropriate use of personal protective equipment will continue