Are you passionate about a career where you can make a difference in someone’s life?
The Greater Victoria School District wants to help get you there, where you’ll have the opportunity to help shape the next generation.
They are currently offering a three-week condensed training program designed to get aspiring Educational Assistants classroom-ready, completely free of charge.
In 47 schools serving 19,000 students, SD61’s 3,000 employees are committed every day to ensuring their students’ success in a responsible and safe environment.
The Educational Assistant training program will take place from October 12th to October 29th, and is free for all accepted applicants.
Acceptance to free Educational Assistant training program will be based on an interview to be conducted over Zoom, October 5th to October 8th, 2021. Though a job offer is not guaranteed at the end of the program, that is the hopeful outcome for all applicants.
Requirements for acceptance into the program
- Grade 12 or equivalent
- One (1) year Education Assistant and Community Support Worker certificate or equivalent combination of post-secondary courses in child/adolescent development, or behavior management including non-violent crisis intervention techniques.
- Experience working with vulnerable children
- First Aid and CPR certified, or willingness to get certified
- Ability to commit to the full three week course (please do not apply if you cannot attend these dates)
- Desire to be gainfully employed by the School District at the conclusion of the program
The program includes
- Organizational structure of schools
- The role of Education Assistants in the classroom
- Health and safety (COVID Protocols)
- Child development
- Indigenous learners and the “First Peoples Principles of Learning”
- Supporting learning
- Technology and education
- Behavior support
- Social emotional learning
- English Language Learners
- Crisis Prevention Institute (CPI) Training (1 day)
- School Visits: Elementary, Middle, Secondary (6 days)
Benefits of working in the Greater Victoria School District
- Having an opportunity to work with all students and see their progress in the classroom you support
- Having the flexibility to work around family commitments, personal avocations and the school calendar
- Consistent Monday to Friday work
- Competitive wages
- Comprehensive benefits package
Completion of the program could lead to an Educational Assistant position with the Greater Victoria School District, and these positions offer regular call-outs leading to continuing assignments of 24-28 hours per week.
The deadline to apply for the Educational Assistant training is Friday October 1st, 2021 at 4 p.m., and to apply, interested applicants can send their cover letter, resume, copies of relevant certification and references to:
Human Resource Services, Greater Victoria School District #61
556 Boleskine Road, Victoria, B.C. V8Z 1E8
You can also email email@example.com.
For a detailed job description of the position of the Educational Assistant position, please visit SD61 online and head to their Employment section.