Are you excited for Halloween?
We’re only a week into October but the Halloween plans are in full swing!
Pumpkin patches, haunted corn mazes, halloween costumes and more. Everyone is getting ready for their favourite spooky events and traditions.
With an abundance of events and a spooky history ready to explore, Victoria is the perfect place to celebrate the holiday.
Now that you’re in the spirit, here are 7 spooky Halloween events and activities in Greater Victoria for you to enjoy:
Hatley Castle is a well known and allegedly haunted monument in Victoria. The Castle was built in 1908 for a Lieutenant and his family and eventually turned into a naval military academy.
Over the years, many ghosts have been spotted within and around the castle. Although the guided tours are not running at this time, visitors are welcome to visit the gardens. Controlled access will be in place to ensure a 50 visitor capacity limit at this time.
- When: Garden access is open to the public between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m daily.
- Where: 2005 Sooke Rd
- Price: Free admission to gardens.
Galey Farms is the place to be this October with their corn maze, pumpkin patch and highly anticipated Carnevil!
The 5,000 square foot Haunted House will be ready to spook you every Thursday, Friday and Saturday starting October 14th until October 31st.
Book your time slot ahead of time!
- Where: 4150 Blenkinsop Road
- When: Time slots begin at 6 p.m., Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays from October 14th until October 31st
- Tickets: $20/each, you can purchase tickets here.
This Halloween, Frankenstein will wreak havoc in the hallowed halls of the Craigdarroch Castle.
Beginning October 9th and running until October 30th, this four-night, one-man version of Mary Shelley’s classic horror story, Frankenstein, will take place in the Castle’s dance hall, located on the fourth floor.
- Where: Craigdarroch Castle
- When: October 9th, October 16th, 23rd and 30th.
- Tickets: $30 ($25 for members). Tickets can be purchased online here.
Every Sunday in October, you can take a spooky, guided walking tour through Ross Bay Cemetery. Learn about the history of Victoria as well as about some of those who have settled there (Sir James Douglas, Emily Carr, Billy Barker and more).
On October 31st, the Annual Ghost Tour will take place. Tour guides note that some of the graves’ occupants may come to life to tell their tales.
- Where: Ross Bay Cemetery, 1495 Fairfield Road
- When: Tours start at 2 p.m, every Sunday
- Price: $5 for non-members. $2 for members.
Monsters Haunted House is back once more, at a brand new location that’s sure to spook even the bravest ghouls and goblins this year.
This Halloween, you’re invited to experience the old Landmark University Heights Movie theatre in a new, spine-tingling way.
Every Friday, Saturday and Sunday in October from 6 p.m. to 11 p.m., ghosts and ghouls will be ready to meet you at every turn. Closer to Halloween, more dates are available to visit University Freights Theatre.
The event reminds all attendees that weapons and costume masks are not permitted.
- Where: Landmark Movie Theater, University Heights Shopping Centre – 3980 Shelbourne Street
- When: 6 p.m. to 11 p.m, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays in October. More dates are available around Halloween!
- Tickets: $20 +tax each. Tickets can be purchased here.
On October 30th, Avalon Books and Treasures will be putting on a huge sale in celebration of Halloween. Spell kits, crystal sales, ghoulish gift ware, herbs, candles, tarot and oracle decks will all be on sale for you to enjoy.
Psychic tarot readings, palmistry and mediumship readings will also be available. Contact the shop via their Facebook page to book your spot.
- When: 12 p.m. to 5 p.m., Saturday October 30th
- Where: 62-560 Johnson Street
This Halloween, the drag duo Mina Mercury and Gloria Hole are back by popular demand to host The Hallway’s ‘Halloween Dragtacular’.
The two hour event will be filled with drag, food, cocktails and fun. Prizes will be up for grabs for best costume!
- When: 7 p.m. to 9 p.m., Saturday October 30th
- Where: The Hallway, 1724 Douglas Street
- Tickets: Bar seating tickets and group tickets are available. You can purchase them online here.