The BC Ministry of Health reported 593 new cases of COVID-19 on Tuesday, October 5th.
There have been 190,372 cases of COVID-19 since the pandemic began.
New cases were reported in these health regions:
- Vancouver Coastal Health: 68
- Fraser Health: 203
- Island Health: 107
- Interior Health: 128
- Northern Health: 87
- Resident outside Canada: 0
There are currently 5,937 active cases of COVID-19 in the province.
182,045 people who tested positive have recovered.
There are now a total of 345 people in hospital due to COVID-19, 144 of whom are in critical care — ICU or acute care units.
There were no reports of deaths from COVID-related causes, making the provincial death toll 1,983.
Data by Vaccination Status:
From September 27th to October 3rd, people not fully vaccinated accounted for 70.7% of cases. From September 20th to October 3rd, they accounted for 78.1% of hospitalizations.
Past week cases (Sept. 27-Oct. 3):
- Total: 4,922
- Not vaccinated: 3,160 (64.2%)
- Partially vaccinated: 320 (6.5%)
- Fully vaccinated: 1,442 (29.3%)
Past two weeks cases hospitalized (Sept. 20-Oct. 3)
- Total: 347
- Not vaccinated: 242 (69.7%)
- Partially vaccinated: 29 (8.4%)
- Fully vaccinated: 76 (21.9%)
Past week, cases per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Sept. 27-Oct. 3):
- Not vaccinated: 297.3
- Partially vaccinated: 90.1
- Fully vaccinated: 35.1
Past two weeks, cases hospitalized per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Sept. 20 to Oct. 3):
- Not vaccinated: 36.7
- Partially vaccinated: 12.9
- Fully vaccinated: 1.7
There has been one new health-care facility outbreak at the University Hospital of Northern BC (Northern Health).
The outbreak at Menno Terrace East (Fraser Health) has been declared over.
There are a total of 19 active outbreaks, including:
- Long-Term Care: Willingdon Care Centre, Westminster House, The Residence in Mission, Magnolia Gardens, Manoah Manor and Good Samaritan Delta View Care Centre (Fraser Health), Louis Brier Home and Hospital (Vancouver Coastal Health), Cottonwoods Care Centre, The Hamlets at Westsyde, Joseph Creek Care Village, Overlander, Village by the Station (Interior Health), Wrinch Memorial Hospital, Jubilee Lodge (Northern Health) and Victoria Chinatown Care Centre (Island Health).
- Acute Care: University Hospital of Northern BC (Northern Health) and Royal Inland Hospital (Interior Health).
- Assisted or Independent Living: Sunset Manor (Fraser Health) and Cooper Place (Vancouver Coastal Health).
Island Health reported 107 new cases of COVID-19 in the Vancouver Island region and 621 active cases.
Breakdown of cases on Vancouver Island:
- South Vancouver Island Active cases: 327 │Total Cases: 3813
- Central Vancouver Island Active cases: 242 │ Total Cases: 4010
- North Vancouver Island Active cases: 52 │Total Cases: 1138
40 people remain in hospital with 23 in ICU.
There have been no new deaths reported in the Island Health region today, and a total of 70 deaths on Vancouver Island.
As of Tuesday, Oct. 5, 2021, 88.3% of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 81.7% received their second dose.
In addition, 88.8% of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose and 82.5% received their second dose.
To date, 7,894,975 (+10,905) doses of the COVID-19 vaccine have been administered in BC; 3,789,179 (+7,171) of which are second doses.
Some links include:
- Details on the latest provincial restrictions
- BCCDC information on how to get tested
- Support for mental health and wellbeing
At the time of this publication, 236,366,511 cases of COVID-19 had been recorded worldwide. 4,826,296 have died, and 213,446,312 have recovered.