The BC Ministry of Health reported 649 new cases of COVID-19 on Friday, October 22nd.
There have been 200,898 cases of COVID-19 since the pandemic began.
New cases were reported in these health regions:
- Vancouver Coastal Health: 61
- Fraser Health: 281
- Island Health: 89
- Interior Health: 88
- Northern Health: 130
- Resident outside Canada: 0
There are currently 5,106 active cases of COVID-19 in the province.
193,325 people who tested positive have recovered.
There are now a total of 365 people in hospital due to COVID-19, 143 of whom are in critical care — ICU or acute care units.
13 new people have died from COVID-related causes, making the provincial death toll 2,109.
Data by Vaccination Status:
From Oct. 14-20, people not fully vaccinated accounted for 65.2% of cases.
From Oct. 7-20, they accounted for 77.0% of hospitalizations.
Past week cases (Oct. 14-20)
- Total 4,480
- Not vaccinated: 2,584 (57.7%)
- Partially vaccinated: 338 (7.5%)
- Fully vaccinated: 1,558 (34.8%)
Past two weeks cases hospitalized (Oct. 7-20)
- Total: 452
- Not vaccinated: 322 (71.2%)
- Partially vaccinated: 26 (5.8%)
- Fully vaccinated: 104 (23.0%)
Past week, cases per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Oct. 14-20)
- Not vaccinated: 311.3
- Partially vaccinated: 99.5
- Fully vaccinated: 36.7
Past two weeks, cases hospitalized per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Oct. 7-20)
- Not vaccinated: 55.7
- Partially vaccinated: 11.5
- Fully vaccinated: 2.3
There have been no new health-care facility outbreaks in the province.
There is one active health care in the Island Health region at Tofino General Hospital.
There are a total of 25 active health care outbreaks in the province.
Island Health reported 89 new cases of COVID-19 in the Vancouver Island region and 452 active cases.
Breakdown of cases on Vancouver Island:
- South Vancouver Island Active cases: 172 │Total Cases: 4296
- Central Vancouver Island Active cases: 239 │ Total Cases: 4584
- North Vancouver Island Active cases: 41 │Total Cases: 1242
54 people remain in hospital with 20 in ICU.
There were 2 new deaths reported in the Island Health region today, and a total of 86 deaths on Vancouver Island.
As of Friday, Oct. 22, 2021, 89.4% of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 83.9% have received their second dose.
In addition, 89.9% of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose and 84.6% have received their second dose.
To date, 8,120,458 (+16,562) doses of the COVID-19 vaccine have been administered in BC; 3,891,058 (+7,473) of which are second doses.
Some links include:
- Details on the latest provincial restrictions
- BCCDC information on how to get tested
- Support for mental health and wellbeing
You can view the worldwide statistics here.