In a release Tuesday, the District of Saanich announced several areas of West Saanich Road are closed due to damages endured after yesterday’s storm.
Heavy rainwater and flooding has resulted in road erosion, causing many routes to be closed to ensure public safety.
According to Saanich, crews are currently on site working to re-open the road as soon as possible. However, they believe the roads will be closed for approximately up to 48 hours.
The following sections of West Saanich Road are currently closed with full barricades across the entire road:
- West Saanich at South side of Hartland Avenue
- West Saanich at North side of Prospect Lake Road
The following sections of West Saanich road have road closed ahead signs posted:
- West Saanich South of Keating
- West Saanich at Old West Saanich
- West Saanich North of Wallace
- West Saanich South of Wallace
- West Saanich South of Interurban
- West Saanich North of Wilkinson
After the severe rainstorm, many areas across Vancouver Island are experiencing flooding and road closures.
Yesterday, a state of emergency was declared for the Cowichan Valley and surrounding regions after record rainfall caused flooding and mudslides across the region.
This morning, the Malahat re-opened to essential travel with alternate, single lane traffic after being closed overnight for a geotechnical assessment.
BC Highway 14 at Forebay Road near Jordan River is also fully closed due to a sink hole.