The BC Ministry of Health reported 789 new cases of COVID-19 on Friday, December 17th.
There have been 225,785 cases of COVID-19 since the pandemic began.
New cases were reported in these health regions:
- Vancouver Coastal Health: 286
- Fraser Health: 186
- Island Health: 147
- Interior Health: 131
- Northern Health: 39
- Resident outside Canada: 0
There have been 302 cases of the Omicron variant of concern identified in B.C.:
- Fraser Health: 58
- Vancouver Coastal Health: 93
- Interior Health: five
- Northern Health: one
- Island Health: 145
There are currently 4,313 active cases of COVID-19 in the province.
218,960 people who tested positive have recovered.
There are now a total of 191 people in hospital due to COVID-19, 74 of whom are in critical care — ICU or acute care units.
3 new people have died from COVID-related causes, making the provincial death toll at 2,399.
There have been one new health-care facility outbreaks at Lions Gate Hospital (Vancouver Coastal Health).
There are a total of 1 ongoing health care outbreaks in the province.
There are currently no health care outbreaks in the Island Health region.
Island Health reported 147 new cases of COVID-19 in the Vancouver Island region and 801 active cases.
Breakdown of cases on Vancouver Island:
- South Vancouver Island Active cases: 379│Total Cases: 5414
- Central Vancouver Island Active cases: 226 │ Total Cases: 6489
- North Vancouver Island Active cases: 196│Total Cases: 2316
42 people remain in hospital with 14 in ICU.
There was no new deaths reported in the Island Health region today, and a total of 135 deaths on Vancouver Island.
As of Wednesday, December 15th:
- 9,101,805 doses of the COVID-19 vaccine have been administered in BC
- 86.9% (4,332,204) of eligible people five and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 82.5% (4,113,484) have received their second dose.
- 91.6% (4,247,470) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine, 88.7% (4,113,431) received their second dose and 15% (688,167) have received a third dose.
- 92% (3,979,851) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose, 89.2% (3,859,565) received their second dose and 16% (687,413) have received a third dose.
You can view the worldwide stats here.