Those planning to catch a BC Ferries sailing today will have to come up with alternative plans.
High winds have resulted in the cancellation of majority of scheduled sailings between Vancouver Island and the Lower Mainland on Sunday, January 2nd.
“Please be advised that the Spirit of British Columbia, Spirit of Vancouver Island and Coastal Celebration have cancelled the following sailings due to adverse weather conditions (high winds),” BC Ferries said in a statement.
“The safety of our passengers and crew is of primary importance to us. We don’t take the decision to cancel sailings lightly, as we know customers rely on us to get to their destinations.”
The ferry corporation said services will resume as soon as it is safe to do so.
On Saturday, Environment Canada issued a statement warning of southeast winds of 70 km/h with gusts reaching 90 km/h will impact the Greater Victoria area near Haro Strait.
Southern sections of Metro Vancouver and Gulf Islands will also be impacted by this warning.
Winds began late Saturday night and expected to continue until Sunday night.
The following services have been cancelled today:
Swartz Bay/Tsawwassen cancellations
- 11:00 a.m. departing Tsawwassen
- 1:00 p.m. departing Swartz Bay
- 3:00 p.m. departing Tsawwassen
- 3:00 p.m. departing Swartz Bay
- 4:00 p.m. departing Swartz Bay
- 5:00 p.m. departing Tsawwassen
- 5:00 p.m. departing Swartz Bay
- 7:00 p.m. departing Tsawwassen
- 7:00 p.m. departing Swartz Bay
- 9:00 p.m. departing Tsawwassen
- 9:00 p.m. departing Swartz Bay
Duke Point/Tsawwassen cancellations
- 10:15 a.m. departing Tsawwassen
- 12:45 p.m. departing Duke Point
- 3:15 p.m. departing Tsawwassen
- 3:15 p.m. departing Duke Point
- 5:45 p.m. departing Tsawwassen
- 5:45 p.m. departing Duke Point
- 8:15 p.m. departing Tsawwassen
- 8:15 p.m. departing Duke Point
- 10:45 p.m. departing Tsawwassen
- 10:45 p.m. departing Duke Point
Customers with bookings on cancelled sailings will have their bookings cancelled and fully refunded.