BC residents will have to put up with COVID-19 restrictions a little longer.
On Monday, January 17th, BC Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry quietly issued a new order stating that due to the ongoing threat posed by COVID-19 and the burden currently faced by the health-care system, the current restrictions will remain in place indefinitely.
The order extends restrictions that were set to expire at midnight tonight, this includes:
- Indoor personal gatherings, including in rental and vacation properties are now limited to one household plus 10 other individuals, or one additional household, but only if all in attendance fully vaccinated. Unvaccinated people should not be permitted
- The province is now requiring all events of any size to scan BC Vaccine Card – the QR code must be scanned at all events
- As in the past, movement between tables at food establishments like restaurants will be restricted and masks wearing when not seated must be enforced
- Large events and concerts with over 1,000 people in attendance, such as Victoria Royals games, will operate at 50% capacity.
- All sports tournaments in BC are to be suspended
In addition, the following businesses must remain closed:
- gyms, fitness and adult dance centres
- bars, lounges and nightclubs
- event venues that can no longer hold events
In the original order on December 22nd, the province urged BC residents to limit indoor gatherings to those who are fully vaccinated, to ensure proper ventilation indoors, and to avoid all travel if not fully vaccinated.
Religious services must follow the following orders:
- A faith community may use up to 100% of the seated capacity of a place for a worship
service if the officiant and all participants over the age of 11 years are vaccinated
- A faith community may use up to 50% of the seated capacity of a place for a worship
service if the officiant or any of the participants over the age of 11 years is not
Adrian Dix responded to this new information stating that the public will be updated on the PHO order tomorrow during the government’s scheduled conference, and that the updated order was made to ensure it remained in place until then.
The previous December 22nd orders had end dates of 12:01 am, Tuesday, January 18. Dr. Henry will be providing an update on the new orders on Tuesday, January 18 – this updated order was made to ensure the order remained in place until Dr. Henry spoke about them on Tuesday.
— Adrian Dix (@adriandix) January 18, 2022
The new order did not have an expiration date, meaning the restrictions will remain in place indefinitely.