The perfect meal is simple.
You take a tortilla, fill it with rice, beans, cheese and a protein of your choice.
Next, you add some guacamole, sour cream and give it some heat with some salsa.
Finally, you wrap it all up together, making sure to fold it just right so the contents don’t spill out.
And just like that, you have a burrito.
Thursday, April 7th is National Burrito Day, which means it’s the perfect day to indulge in the delicious Mexican meal.
Although you can make a burrito yourself, it’s much tastier if you leave it to the professionals.
Here are 10 restaurants on Vancouver Island to check out for National Burrito Day:
At Cafe Mexico, enjoy vegetarian, chicken tinga, cochinita, barbacoa and camaron options for burritos. All burritos are served with a side of tortilla chips.
- Location: 1425 Store Street
- Hours: 3 p.m. to 9 p.m., Tuesday to Thursday, 3 p.m. to 10 p.m. Friday and Saturday
Of course, Tacofino has to be on the list. If you’re looking for a delicious and hefty burrito try their fish, crispy chicken, vegetarian, super veg, pork, roast chicken or steak options!
- Location: 760 Pandora Avenue and 1184 Pacific Rim Highway, Tofino
- Hours: 11 a.m. to 11 p.m., Monday to Sunday (Pandora) and 11 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday to Sunday (Tofino)
Taco Justice food truck has an assortment of options when it comes to burritos and burrito bowls. Try their Belly 2 Belly (slow cooked pork belly and shoulder) , Green Bastard (deep fried avocado wedges), Brutus, Mr. Fuji’s Intercontinental chicken or Slap to the Kisser (Seared rock fish).
- Location: 1580 Cook Street
- Hours: 12 p.m. to 7 p.m., Monday to Sunday
At La Taquisa, burrito fillings include beef el pastor, chicken tinga, chicken mole, pork chorizo, fish al pastor, baja style shrimp, baja style fish, ceviche, rajas, veggie mole, veggie chorizo, cauliflower chilorio and beans and cheese.
- Location: 1017 Blanshard Street, #120 176 Wilson Street and 768 Goldstream Avenue
- Hours: 11 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday to Sunday
You can’t go wrong with a rice, bean and cheese burrito. Stop by Mesa Familiar to check theirs out!
- Location: 1296 Gladstone Avenue
- Hours: 3 p.m. to 10 p.m., Monday to Thursday, 3 p.m. to 11 p.m. Friday, 9:30 a.m. to 11 p.m. Saturday and 9:30 a.m. to 9 pm. Sunday
Adriana’s is the perfect place to stop by if you need a burrito quick and on the go. Enjoy chicken, chorizo or roasted veggies.
- Location: 2140 Keating Cross Road
- Hours: 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Wednesday to Friday
Three Gringos Mexican Grill burrito options include ground beef, shredded chicken, pork tinga, bean or veggie.
- Location: 735 Goldstream Avenue
- Hours: 11 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday to Saturday
Compass Mexican Bistro offers chicken, fish, pulled pork, vegetarian and beef burritos and, if you’re looking to skip the tortilla, you can opt for a burrito bowl!
- Location: 1770, 5 Shawnigan Lake-Mill Bay Road, Shawnigan Lake
- Hours: 11 a.m. to 8 p.m., Monday to Saturday, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., Sunday
Baby Salsa has something for everyone when it comes to burritos. Try their La Dona (spicy chorizo), Santa Fe (grilled chicken breast), Del Mar (garlic-sauteed shrimp), Del Campo (marinated pork al pastor), Holey Mole! (shredded chicken in smoky mole sauce), del jardin (vegetarian) or con todo (shredded beef).
- Location: #205 550 Fifth Street, Nanaimo
- Hours: 11:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m., Monday to Thursday, 11:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. Friday and Saturday, 11:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. Sunday
Gina’s Mexican Cafe, a Nanaimo staple, has beef, chicken, shrimp and Veggie (tofu and spinach) burrito options. They also offer soya cheese and vegan mozza as an alternative to dairy.
- Location: 47 Skinner Street, Nanaimo
- Hours: 11:30 a.m. to 8 p.m., Monday to Thursday, 11:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. Friday and Saturday, 11:30 a.m. to 8 p.m., Sunday