As the weather gets warmer, many begin their hunt for the city’s best fish and chips.
Perfectly battered, hot, crispy and delicious, served with a side of coleslaw and fries, it is the prime summer food to enjoy while sitting outside in the sunshine.
The English dish is most often served with halibut or cod, but flounder, tilapia, haddock and even salmon are also options.
So what’s the best place in Victoria to get the classic dish?
According to a recent Reddit thread by u/faithoft, the people of Victoria have voted on their local favourites.
Ready for summer? Here are 13 places to get the best fish & chips in and around Victoria:
Red Fish Blue Fish is always popular, with a long line of eager customers.
Their fish is tempura battered, served with tartar sauce, coleslaw and kennebec chips.
- Location: 1006 Wharf Street
- Hours: 11 a.m. to 7 p.m., Wednesday to Sunday
Finest at Sea is locally owned and sustainably operated.
Check out their classic fish and chips!
- Location: 27 Erie Street
- Hours: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday to Sunday
According to their website, Naughty Nellie’s has the best fish and chips in town.
Check out their halibut, cod, ling cod and salmon options as well as their combos to feed your whole family!
- Location: 4081 Shelbourne Street
- Hours: 11 a.m. to 2:30 pm and 3:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Tuesday to Saturday, 3:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Sunday
Fish O Chips has halibut and cod fish and chips meals varying from one piece to nine pieces.
Meals include Fish O Chips’ house made coleslaw, tartar sauce and hand cut chips.
- Location: 10153 Resthaven Drive, Sidney
- Hours: 3 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, 11:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m., Wednesday to Saturday, 11:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. Sunday
Willows Galley’s menu offers cod or halibut fish and chips grilled or deep fried in their signature sourdough.
- Location: 2559 Estevan Avenue
- Hours: 12 p.m. to 6 p.m., Wednesday to Sunday
Oak Bay Seafoods’ fish and chip meals include fries, tartar sauce and red cabbage slaw.
Try their halibut, salmon, ling cod, grey cod or rockfish.
Their fryers are also 100% gluten free!
- Location: 2024 Oak Bay Avenue
- Hours: 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday, 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., Tuesday to Saturday, 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Sunday
Floating Fish Store at Fisherman’s Wharf offers halibut, sockeye salmon, pacific cod and sturgeon.
All are deep fried in their light crisp batter with freshly cut twice fried chips, slaw and homemade tartar.
- Location: 1 Dallas Road
- Hours: 11:30 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday to Sunday
Fish on 5th is a Sidney classic!
Try their cod, haddock, salmon or halibut fish and chip options.
All meals are served as a one or two piece meal grilled or deep fried with your choice of sides and tartar sauce.
- Location: 9812 Fifth Street, Sidney
- Hours: 11 a.m. to 8 p.m., Monday to Sunday
Haultain Fish and Chips’ options include halibut and ling cod.
Enjoy 1 or 2 piece meals served with chips and coleslaw.
- Location: 1127 Haultain Street
- Hours: 11:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. Tuesday to Saturday, 3:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., Sunday
Salty’s fish and chips serves cod, haddock and halibut dishes with 1 or 2 pieces of fish.
Their menu also features meals that included panko breaded shrimp and Northern England’s favorite mushy peas.
- Location: 1008 Craigflower Road
- Hours: 4 p.m. to 7 p.m., Monday, 12 p.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesday to Saturday, 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Sunday
Fishhook’s pekora-battered fish is served with masala fries, red shred slaw and citrus pickle remoulade dip.
- Location: 805 Fort Street
- Hours: 11:30 a.m. to 8 p.m., Tuesday to Saturday
The Flying Otter Grill loves classic fish and chips.
Beer battered halibut and cod options with fresh-cut fries, coleslaw and tartar sauce.
- Location: 950 Wharf Street
- Hours: 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Wednesday and Thursday, 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Friday and Saturday, 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Sunday
Finns Seafood Restaurant is prepared the traditional British way with a generous portion of sustainably caught Haddock in a local craft beer batter, fresh cut fries, coleslaw, house made tartar sauce.
- Location: 1208 Wharf Street
- Hours: 11:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. Wednesday to Sunday