VicPD Cruiser Downtown

VicPD arrested a man on Wednesday, after he barricaded himself inside a residential housing facility, resulting in substantial damage to the property.

Just before 5 p.m., on July 13th, officers were called to a multi-unit residential housing facility in the 700-block of Queens Avenue for a report that a stolen vehicle had been located there.

When officers arrived, they located a loaded shotgun inside the vehicle as well as ammunition and accessories for other firearms.

Officers and an ICS officer began to search for the man who was last seen driving the vehicle.

Just after 10 p.m., officers’ search for the suspect led them to a multi-unit temporary residential housing facility in the 200-block of Gorge Road East.

Given the presence of ammunition and firearm accessories located in the vehicle, officers responded quickly, establishing containment while evacuating nearby units.

The suspect then opened the door of his unit where he was challenged by officers and told he was under arrest.

The suspect retreated into the unit and barricaded himself inside.

GVERT, including crisis negotiators, responded, taking over attempts to resolve the incident peacefully.

Just before midnight, the suspect exited the unit and gave himself up to officers. However, at the same time, clouds of what appeared to be smoke began to billow from the suite.

Victoria Fire Department firefighters arrived and determined the ‘smoke’ was actually steam which was released when the suspect attempted to “mousehole” into neighbouring suites to avoid arrest, which resulted in damaged hot water pipes.

Officers also learned there were three other people still within the suite and called for them to exit.

Two people exited, were briefly detained and released as they were not party to the suspect’s offences.

The third person remained inside and refused to exit, telling officers they believed there was an active warrant for their arrest. Officers worked to negotiate to have the second person exit the suite, however negotiations failed.

By this time, just before 1 a.m., there was more than a foot of water flooding both the original and neighbouring suite.

GVERT officers deployed irritant gas and the second barricaded person surrendered to officers and was taken into custody.

The second person had no outstanding arrest warrants and was offered treatment for gas exposure and released.

Emergency crews entered the suite to work to contain the damage. Water service to the entire multi-unit temporary residential housing facility was shut off for several hours as crews attempted emergency repairs following the extensive damage.

The original suspect was transported to VicPD cells where he was held for court. He faces recommended charges including firearm possession, careless use of a firearm, possession of stolen property, two charges related to the of possession of a firearm or ammunition contrary to a court order, driving while prohibited, and breach of release conditions.

Anyone with information regarding the suspects, or the incidents, is asked to contact the VicPD at (250) 995-7654.

To report what you know anonymously, call Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers at 1-888-222-8477.

đź‘‹ Subscribe to the Victoria Buzz newsletter to receive the latest news, events and more directly to your inbox. Every weekday.