It’s the first of its kind, and it’s happening this weekend!
Uptown Shopping Centre has partnered with the District of Saanich to host its first-ever Multicultural Festival, featuring community cultural vendors, musicians and performances.
There will also be food trucks will in attendance, such as Greek on the Street and the Yummy Food Truck!
The Uptown Multicultural Festival will take place on Saturday, July 9th from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. and aims to recognize the cultural diversity and inclusive community of Saanich.
The event will take place along Uptown Boulevard to celebrate multicultural cuisine, exhibits, and traditional entertainment.
We’ve also partnered with Uptown to give away a gift card bundle to some of their multicultural eateries worth $125, and you’ll find those contest details below!
Members of Wong Sheung Kung Fu Club will be performing a traditional lion dance on stage at the Uptown Multicultural Festival, the same group that performed at the property on Lunar New Year this year.
Other performers include:
- Lekwungen Dancers
- Bollywood Beats – traditional Indian dance – student dance club
- Soran Dance Club from the Victoria Heritage Language School Society
- Victoria Sunshine Fitness Club – traditional Chinese dance
- Bengali Cultural Society of Victoria – traditional dance & choir
- Métis Nation of Greater Victoria – Fiddler, singer & jigger
- The Chinese Opera Club – Singing dancing, & musical instruments
- Veselka Ukrainian Dance Association
- Furusato Dancers – Japanese dance ensemble
- Cookeilidh – high energy, traditional Celtic music
The day’s full schedule:
- 11 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. – Lekwungen Dancers
- 11:30 a.m. – 12 p.m. – Intro
- 12 p.m. – 12:15 p.m. – Bollywood Beats
- 12:15 p.m. – 12:30 p.m. Soran Dance Club from the Victoria Japanese Heritage Language School Society
- 12:30 p.m. – 1 p.m. – Victoria Sunshine Fitness Club
- 1 p.m. – 1:30 p.m. – Bengali Cultural Society of Victoria
- 1:30 p.m. – 2 p.m. – Wong Sheung Kung Fu Club
- 2 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. – Métis Nation of Greater Victoria
- 2:30-3:30 The Chinese Opera Club
- 3:30 p.m. – 4 p.m. – Veselka Ukrainian Dance Association
- 4 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. – Furusato Dancers
- 4:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m. – Cookeilidh
You’ll find these exhibits and vendors:
- African Art & Cultural Community Contributor – ISSAMBA CENTRE
- African Heritage Association of Vancouver Island
- Bengali Cultural Society of Victoria
- Bollywood Beats
- Chinese Community Services Centre
- Coast Salish & Nuu-chah-nulth artist – Gerren Peters
- Dance Fitness with Lizy – Bolly X
- Dhaga Designs
- Dosa Kitchen
- Greater Victoria Police Diversity Advisory Committee
- Harum Tea
- Heritage Crafts
- Indigenous Pop Up Shop YYJ
- Island Métis Family & Community Services Society
- Metis Nation of GV
- Palo Santo Store
- Punjabi Cultural Community
- Saanich Community Association Network
- Saanich Community Policing
- Saanich Cricket
- Saanich Emergency Program
- Saanich Police Recruiting, Equity and Diversity
- Saanich Legacy Foundation
- Sunrise Beauty Spa
- Ukrainian Cultural Centre
- Ukrainian Dance Association
- Victoria Chinatown Lioness Club
- Victoria Chinatown Lions
- Victoria Chinese Opera Club
- Victoria Korean Community Association
- Victoria Korean Womens Association
- Victoria Natural Healing Clinic
- Wong Sheung Kung Fu Club
For a chance to WIN a massive gift card bundle to some of Uptown’s multicultural eateries ($25 to Erito Sushi, $25 to Sizzling Tandoor, $25 to Puerto Vallarta Amigos, $25 to Ono Poke, and $25 to Shake It Bubble Tea), please complete the following:
- LIKE Uptown Victoria on Facebook and comment below to let us know have (1 entry)
- FOLLOW Uptown Victoria on Instagram and comment below to let us know have (1 entry)
- SHARE this post on Facebook or Twitter and comment below to let us know have (1 entry)
The winner will be drawn on July 10th. Good luck!
- Where: The Boulevard and The Plaza at Uptown Shopping Centre
- When: Saturday, July 9th from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.