With schools open again and autumn right around the corner, BC is rolling out their COVID-19 booster shot plan.
Much like how the flu-shot has a booster every year to keep us all healthy through the winter months, COVID-19 booster shots will soon be available.
The province announced today that BC residents will soon begin to receive invitations to book fall 2022 booster shots, and are being urged to make an appointment as soon as the invitation arrives.
Parents and guardians are being asked by the BC Provincial Medical Officer, Dr. Bonnie Henry to make sure their children’s vaccines are up to date and they receive a fall booster, if appropriate.
With students returning to school, the province said it is important to make sure they are protected against COVID-19 by having an up-to-date vaccination.
The updated vaccine that will be available is a “bivalent” vaccine – a combination of protection against different variants of a virus. In this case, the bivalent vaccines will protect against COVID-19 and its Omicron variant.
Moderna and Pfizer both have bivalent vaccines developed and BC will start to receive doses for administration by September 6th.
Health Canada approved the use of this updated vaccine on September 1st. It is proven to be effective and safe for everyone eligible for the vaccination.
Residents will be eligible if it’s been six months since their last vaccine. If they’ve been infected with COVID-19 since their last vaccination, they will have to wait three months minimum since that infection to receive the booster.
The invitations for the booster vaccine are being prioritized accordingly:
- Health care workers
- Risk groups (vulnerable, immuno-suppressed and chronically ill groups, indigenous communities and those aged 60+)
- Those with a long interval since their last vaccination
Co-administration with the influenza vaccine booster shot will be available when the flu shot arrives in early October.
Here are your steps to ensuring you get a vaccination invitation:
- Ensure registration in Get Vaccinated BC – online or through Provincial Call Centre 1-833-838-2323
- Update email or mobile number in Get Vaccinated BC if it has changed
- If you recently arrived to BC , submit COVID-19 vaccination records here, so you will get your invitation
- Wait for invitation for Fall Booster – by mobile or email from Get Vaccinated BC