Happy Friday, Victoria!
We blinked and the weekend is here. Time is flying and so are the fun and festive events we have in store for you this weekend!
From festive symphony performances to punk rock holiday markets, here are 17 festive things to do throughout Victoria this weekend, December 10th to 11th:
The annual Punk Rock Holiday Market is back and bigger than before!
Join them for a handmade market with more than vendors who will have a variety of items great for gifting and will help you check off the hard to buy for person on your list. Find gifts for your mom and your weird uncle, all in one stop!
The market with DJ’s will run from 11 to 6. Admission $5 at the door and includes a raffle ticket for our prize basket with items from the market makers.
The venue will then turn over to host a punk show with some of your favourite local bands from 8 to midnight.
The bands playing will be Hung Up, Zero Coping Skills and the Chain.
- Where: Victoria Event Centre, 1415 Broad Street
- When: Saturday, December 10th, 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Tuba Christmas returns to Market Square! Listen to a huge ensemble of tubas and euphoniums playing Christmas Carols and donate some money to support the Times Colonist Christmas Fund.
- Where: Market Square, 560 Johnson Street
- When: Saturday, December 10th, 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.
Experience the magic of the Holidays in French in Victoria! A magical morning for all members of the family.
Explore the Christmas market with its kiosks of local and French-speaking merchants, let yourself be tempted by a deliciously sweet breakfast and discover the world of Santa Claus!
- Where: Plaza Franco, 1218 Langley Street
- When: Saturday, December 10th, 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Cram the Canoe/Cruiser
On Saturday December 10th, from 12 p.m. to 3 p.m. the West Shore RCMP Community and Indigenous Policing Units will be at The Real Canadian Superstore located at 835 Langford Parkway for a Food Drive in support of the local Goldstream Food Bank.
- Where: The Real Canadian Superstore, 835 Langford Parkway
- When: Saturday December 10th, 12 p.m. to 3 p.m.
Illumination and Universal Pictures present the Grinch, based on Dr. Seuss’ beloved holiday classic. The Grinch tells the story of a cynical grump who goes on a mission to steal Christmas, only to have his heart changed by a young girl’s generous holiday spirit. Funny, heartwarming and visually stunning, it’s a universal story about the spirit of Christmas and the indomitable power of optimism.
- When: Saturday, December 9th to Sunday, December 10th, 7:15 p.m.
- Where: IMAX in downtown Victoria, 675 Belleville Street
This American Idol finalist blew the judges away and Carly Simon declared Brooke’s covers exceeded the original recordings! Tracing her inspiration to vocalists such as Karen Carpenter, Joni Mitchell, and Kelly Clarkson, the talented singer/songwriter Brooke White applies her exquisite voice to a program of seasonal classics and holiday hits.
- Saturday, December 10th – 7:30 p.m.
- Sunday, December 11th – 2:30 p.m.
- Where: Royal Theatre, 805 Broughton Street
Mark the season with a free holiday photo with loved ones in the Bay Centre’s 360 photo booth with their friends from Four Frames!
Find the 360 photo booth nestled among the Bay Centre’s shimmering backdrop including their brand new 35′ illuminated tree in centre court layered with glittering and metallic palettes reflecting their nostalgic past, while honouring the present and new experiences to come.
- When: Saturday, December 10th, 1 p.m.
- Where: The Bay Centre, 1150 Douglas Street
With over 90 local businesses showcasing their products across seven different markets, the 2022 Yuletide Market Series is not one to miss!
Designed as a retail pop-up store, the markets have a rotating list of vendors, ensuring you will find something new and unique each weekend.
This is a great way to shop locally as we head into the holiday season.
- When: Saturday, December 10th, 10 a.m. to Sunday, December to 11th, 4 p.m.
- Where: Bilston Creek Farm, 4185 Metchosin Road
Exclusive to Victoria Harbour Ferry, the 45-minute narrated upper harbour voyage tells the story of a child’s Winter Dream with 3-dimensional projected animations and sound-reactive lighting installations. The story inspires warm thoughts of the people we treasure, reminding us that this time of year is meant to be shared with those that we love.
The Ralmax Group of Companies, owners of Victoria Harbour Ferry, invite you to see Victoria from a different viewpoint – to look from the water to the land.
“Our thanks to Limbic Media for their beautiful story-telling and light creations, and to PaintScaping for bringing their internationally acclaimed 3-D light mapping from Los Angeles to Victoria Harbour.”
- When: December 2nd to December 31st
- Where: Tours depart from the Empress Dock on the Inner Harbour Causeway (across from Empress Hotel)
Tom Hanks and director Robert Zemeckis reunite for The Polar Express, an inspiring adventure based on the beloved children’s book by Chris Van Allsburg. When a doubting young boy takes an extraordinary train ride to the North Pole, he embarks on a journey of self-discovery that shows him that the wonder of life never fades for those who believe.
- When: Now playing on select days until December 31st
- Where: IMAX in downtown Victoria, 675 Belleville Street
Immerse yourself in the season as you stroll through over 70 one-of-a-kind festively decorated trees in support of BC Children’s Hospital during the Festival of Trees, sponsored by Scotiabank.
Festival of Trees is free and open daily during Bay Centre shopping centre hours. Closed Christmas Day and New Year’s Day.
- When: From now until January 3rd, view during shopping centre hours
- Where: The Bay Centre, 3125 Douglas Street
Come one, come all to the one and only rehearsal for Santa’s Anonymous Super Lite Choir 2022!
Cookies and other treats provided. Please bring your own water bottle to reduce waste.
- When: Sunday, December 11th, 3 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Where: James Bay Community School Centre, 140 Oswego Street
Bundle up and stroll through thousands of twinkling lights featuring the Twelve Days of Christmas display, sing along to the sounds of the season with traditional carollers and festive brass, then stop in at the coffee shop to warm up with a hot chocolate and gingerbread by the fire.
- When: December 1st to January 6th, 3 p.m. to 9 p.m. daily
- Where: The Butchart Gardens, 800 Benvenuto Avenue
TubaChristmas returns to Market Square in downtown Victoria! Enjoy the euphonious tones of massed, low-brass instruments when more than 100 tuba and euphonium players from across the region unite for one of Victoria’s favourite holiday traditions.
Tuba Christmas dates back to 1974 where it originated in New York City. Concerts now take place in over 200 cities worldwide. 2022 is the 48th anniversary for TubaChristmas events presented throughout the world.
All tuba and euphonium players are welcome to participate!
- When: Saturday, December 10th from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.
- Where: Market Square, downtown Victoria
Habitat for Humanity Victoria’s premier fundraiser, The Gingerbread Showcase is opening for its 14th year! Located in the atrium of the Parkside Hotel & Spa, the event will run from November 26th to January 2nd.
Stop by this local holiday treasure to view the fantastic 100% edible creations made by volunteer bakers, and don’t forget to donate to vote for your favourite! This year, they’ve asked bakers to interpret some magic into their creations with the theme: “Magical.”
100% of donations to the Gingerbread Showcase will help Habitat Victoria support affordable homeownership in Victoria.
Can’t make it in person to see these amazing creations? View and vote for your favourite creation online.
- When: On now until January 2nd
- Where: Parkside Hotel & Spa, 810 Humboldt Street
‘Tis the season of Holiday Magic! Enjoy a cozy beverage, warm fire, their massive holiday tree, crafts, and a visit from Santa! You may even see Luke the Sasquatch partaking in the holiday fun! Here you can find more details on each activity.
- When: December 3rd to January 1st, from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. (see list of times)
- Where: Malahat Skywalk, 901 Trans-Canada Hwy
The 9th annual Christmas Lights map is now available!
Grab hot chocolates for the family, hop in the car, and tune into 98.5 The Ocean to crank up the Christmas music as you head out on the Christmas trail!
With so many light displays around the capital region, we wanted to narrow down some of the best spots to catch the lights around town.
- When: Nighttime of course!
- Where: Throughout Greater Victoria