Congratulations, Victoria. It’s almost time to say goodbye to 2022.
After another year of hard work and memories made, it’s time to ring in the new year with a grand celebration!
This weekend, celebrate in style. From adrenaline-pumping polar dips to lavish dinner dates, enjoy 17 of Victoria’s hottest New Years’ events:
The Soul Shakers have entertained Victoria area audiences for more than a decade with their own brand of funky R&B dance music. They combine superb musicianship with five strong vocalists led by lead vocalist Joyce “the voice” Allensen.
There is no doubt they are one of the best dance bands on Vancouver Island!
Their show is undeniably entertaining and audience engaging led by powerhouse front person Joyce Allensen. The band includes Henning Kanstrup (bass), Sean McCool (guitars), Paul McLellan (drums) and Alexander B. Ferguson ( keyboards).
- Where: Herman’s Upstairs, 751 View Street
- When: Saturday, December 31st, 9 p.m.
Saturday nights are the biggest night of the week down at The Duke Saloon. Come on down and witness incredible live music in one of Victoria’s premier venues. You won’t regret it.
- Where: The Duke Saloon, 502 Discovery Street
- When: Saturday, December 31st, 10 p.m.
Sharing a passion for Yoga and Sound, Dawn and her husband Craig have created a unique immersive experience.
Craig mixes music and sound live while Dawn leads a Flow followed by Yin and Yoga Nidra; the practice is coupled with electronic music, natural sounds, visceral tonal vibrations, delta waves and binaural beats to stimulate your senses and facilitate mind-body integration.
All levels are welcome.
- Where: The Lab, 1088 Fort Street
- When: December 31st, 4 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Come ring in the New Year at Starlight Lights of Wonder in Centennial Square!
There will be two countdowns to the New Year:
9 p.m. – Want to celebrate the New Year and have the kids in bed before midnight? The 9 p.m. countdown is perfect for families (or just those of us who like to go to bed early)
12 p.m. – We are honouring traditional New Year’s and closing out Lights of Wonder for the year with a countdown to midnight!
Whether you choose the 9 p.m. or the 12 p.m. countdown, wear your shiniest, sparkliest, brightest outfits! Glow sticks and prizes will be handed out throughout the night!
The 360-degree camera will be on site with some fun accessories, so you can get the coolest videos of your friends/family.
- Where: Centennial Square
- When: Saturday, December 31st, 7:15 p.m. to 12 p.m.
The Empress has played hostess to numerous grand balls over the years. In 1919, Edward Prince of Wales waltzed the night away in the iconic Crystal Ballroom.
Be part of a grand tradition and eloquently ring in the New Year in Fairmont Empress’ historic Crystal Ballroom.
This year, in classic formal fashion, Fairmont Empress’ New Year’s Eve Event will involve black-tie attire, cocktails upon arrival, live entertainment and a four-course seated dinner.
You’ve waited for this: now it’s time to gather those who mean the most to you and share an experience like no other.
- Where: Fairmont Empress Hotel, 721 Government Street
- When: Saturday, December 31st, 8 p.m. to 1 a.m.
Fusing two fresh-off-the-mountain electronic music addicts, Tim and Dave together
Hailing from the ski town of Whistler, this dynamic duo loves shredding the ski hill almost as much as they love smashing out hit records in the studio.
Producing and performing together for over 6 years, Tim and Dave feed off their high energy live shows. Featuring everything from funky bassline house to black-diamond twerk.
- Where: Capital Ballroom, 858 Yates Street
- When: Saturday, December 31, 9 p.m.
Guests will be transported back to the magic of the Roaring 20’s, a time when footloose flappers danced the Charleston, gamblers tried their luck at the roulette table, and everyone drank free-flowing bootlegged booze.
This evening of good times and amazing food and drink will be held via a secret password revealed two days beforehand.
- Where: Saturday, December 31st, 5 p.m.
- When: The Collective – Wine Bar & Kitchen, 230 Cook Street
Join the folks at the Irish Times Pub before 4 p.m. for Irish New Year’s featuring Black Angus playing live at 3:30 p.m.The Prowl takes the stage at 9:30 p.m.
- Where: Irish Times Pub, 1200 Government Street
- When: Saturday, December 31st, 4 p.m.
Ring in the new year at the Upstairs Lounge. On Saturday night, celebrate in style with a fine multi-course buffet style dinner and dancing to Victoria’s best R&B band, Big Hank and The Kingpins!
- Where: Upstairs Lounge, 14 Bastion Square
- When: Saturday, December 31st, 7 p.m.
Celebrate the last evening of the year with our annual New Year’s Eve Champagne Dinner!
Guests are invited to join Executive Chef Kreg Graham as he presents and pours a special selection of Champagnes, each thoughtfully paired with a different culinary delight using locally sourced ingredients.
Reservations are required, 1 ticket per person, 2 to 6 guests per party.
- Where: Oak Bay Beach Hotel, 1175 Beach Drive
- When: Saturday, December 31st, 6:30 p.m.
Ring in the new year at the Bard and Banker with a luxurious New Year’s Dinner menu
Live music will be performed by The Strangers, from 9:30 p.m. to 1 a.m. Reservations are recommended.
- Where: Bard and Banker, 1002 Government Street
- When: Saturday, December 31st, 5 p.m.
Ring in the New Year with dinner, drinks and dancing at the Penny.
Aiden Miller is set to perform starting at 9 p.m.
- Where: Penny Farthing, 2228 Oak Bay Avenue
- When: Saturday, December 31st, 9 p.m.
Dress to impress and dance in the waves of blissful vibes under the shimmering Sea 🌊 at the Victoria International Marina.🛥️
- Where: Victoria International Marina, 1 Cooperage Plaza
- When: Saturday, December 31st, 1:30 a.m.
Celebrated for her resplendent vocal timbre, exceptional musicality and unparalleled dramatic instincts, the Vancouver native is establishing herself as one of the most exciting emerging artists in the opera world.
Ms. Osborne was one of the youngest Grand Prize winners in the history of the Metropolitan Opera National Council auditions and has gone on to debut on opera and concert stages across the globe.
- Where: Royal Theatre, 805 Broughton
- When: Sunday, January 1st, 2:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
This year Cold Water Addicts invited you to attend the 90th Sunday Adventure at one of our
With this being the first polar swim of the new year, participants are asked to wear appropriate
New Year attire aka new years hats, dresses, umbrella hats, and bring party blowers, etc.
This is weather permitting, but CWA members will swim in rain, sleet, hail and snow.
- Where: Cold Water Addicts, Willows Beach
- When: January 1st, 2023, 11 a.m. arrival, 12 p.m. swim
Join fellow hardy islanders and enjoy an invigorating start to the new year with a polar bear swim.
You’ll find this crazy crowd through the beach access at the end of Beacon Avenue at Glass Beach.
- Where: Beacon Avenue at Glass Beach in Sidney
- When: January 1st, 2023, 12 p.m. to 12:30 p.m.
The Otter Point Volunteer Fire Department hosts their annual Polar Bear Swim at Whiffin Spit. Registration starts at 11:30 a.m. with a cannon start at noon!
- When: Saturday, January 1st, 11:30 a.m. registration. 12 p.m. swim
- Where: Whiffin Spit, Sooke