When it comes to planning Christmas celebrations, one of the festive essentials no family can forget is the golden bird that is served on the big day.
But this begs the question: where’s the best spot locally to get the perfect Christmas bird?
Have no fear, we’ve done the research for you. These five local meat shops and markets have got you covered for your holiday turkey needs:
The folks at Farm + Field currently have fresh and ethically sourced turkeys ready for pickup.
In case you were wondering, these folks take their protein seriously, meaning everything is naturally raised with no antibiotics or hormones, free range, pastured and fed a biologically appropriate diet. Whole animal butchery means nothing is wasted.
- Where: Farm + Field Butchers, 1003 Blanshard Street
- When: Monday to Saturday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
For special occasions, you won’t go wrong with a JD Farm Turkey, naturally raised in Abbotsford, BC in a humane environment.
- Where: Market on Yates, 903 Yates Street
- When: Monday to Sunday, 7 a.m. to 11 p.m.
Glenwood Meats is currently dishing out 12-pound turkeys every Wednesday up until Christmas day.
Due to high demand, pre-orders are not available. Turkeys are first come, first serve
- Where: Glenwood Meats, 1245 Parkdale Drive
- When: Wednesday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The Victoria owned and operated grocery chain offers a variety of meat and deli products including holiday turkeys!
Pre-order is recommended.
- Where: Red Barn Market, 1933 Oak Bay Avenue
- When: Monday to Sunday, 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.
If you’re looking to mix it up this year, the folks at Island meat and Seafood are currently offering Christmas goose. With only a few left in stock, you’re going to want to order asap!
- Where: Island Meat and Seafood, 307 Cook Street
- When: Monday to Sunday, 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.