Saanich Police are seeking the public’s help in identifying a man accused of stealing mail from a home.
The homeowners captured the neighbourhood grinch on a doorbell camera at around 8:30 a.m. on November 19th in the 1700 block of Christmas Avenue.
The residents contacted police immediately after seeing the unknown man walk up to the home and take their mail from the mailbox.
Thankfully, the camera was able to obtain clear images of the suspect, which have been posted on Facebook by Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers.
“With the Christmas holidays approaching and more parcels are being delivered to your homes, remember to collect your mail/parcels as soon as possible to avoid being a victim to the local ‘porch pirates’,” said Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers in their post.
Constable Markus Anastasiades of Saanich PD told Victoria Buzz this was the only reported theft of mail over the past month.
Here are some tips Saanic Police provided to prevent or discourage thefts of mail:
- Check your mail regularly
- Try to arrange parcel deliveries on dates and times that someone will be home
- Try to arrange to have the parcel to delivered to a location on your property that is hidden from the street
- Look at other options for delivery of parcels, such as a post office.
- Having a front door camera can help discourage would-be thieves and can also provide great evidence to assist police if a theft does occur
Anyone with information is asked to call Saanich Police Department at 1-250-475-4331 or contact Crime Stoppers to remain anonymous.