We hope your 2023 is off to a great start, Victoria.
With the first week of the new year coming to an end, we’ve got you covered with plenty of events to keep you busy over the weekend.
From Christmas tree chipping to Sunday music jams, here are 11 things happening in Victoria this weekend, January 7th and 8th:
Madness Event Management & Mindgarden are proud to announce the first installment of a new bass show series they are bringing to Victoria called “MadWorld”. They are setting the tone right away in 2023 by bringing in Vancouver based duo ‘WE ARE FURY’ as a headlining act with support from Caslow, Elyin, and Combo.
- Where: Capital Bathroom, 858 Yates Street
- When: Saturday, January 7th, 9 p.m.
Come to Recyclistas to learn how to safely and effectively maintain, fix, and rebuild bicycles. Whether you are looking to better understand how your own bicycle works or to completely refurbish and build a bicycle, we are ready to help you get rolling!
Unfortunately, there are three things this class cannot help with:
- suspension overhauls
- hydraulic brake bleeding
- e-bike repairs
- Where: Recyclistas Bike Shop, 25 Crease Avenue
- When: Saturday, January 7th, 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Vancouver’s own Brass Camel is a one-of-a-kind quintet that blends 70’s prog, funk, and blues rock into a fresh and original sound. Born in early 2018, the group is the brainchild of Daniel James, who began touring at age 11 and has performed with Les Paul and at NYC’s Apollo Theater.
Since the release of their debut the group has been on a hot-streak of packed Vancouver shows and has shared the stage with groups such as Big Sugar, Songhoy Blues, Hey Ocean in such venues as the Commodore Ballroom and Rickshaw Theatre.
- Where: Victoria Event Centre, 1415 Broad Street
- When: Saturday, January 7th, Doors open at 7:30 p.m., show starts at 8:30 p.m.
A genre celebration club night presented by the local DJ collective, Resonance.
Sets by Resonance co-founder ænniæ “music interests that are ever-mutating, influenced by prairies folk and punk and uk rave, with an affinity to sounds that are fast and euphoric” and some surprise guest DJS from the Resonance crew.
- Where: Hermann’s Upstairs, 753 View Street
- When: Saturday, January 7th, 9 p.m.
Featuring the best comics from Canada and Beyond. Comics as seen and heard on Just for Laughs, Comedy Central, HBO, CBC, The Comedy Network and more!
- Where: Hecklers Bar & Grill, 123 Gorge Road
- When: Saturday, January 7th, 7 p.m.
With the holidays now over, you’re likely in the process of reclaiming your home from the festive décor which includes the good ol’ Christmas tree that’s taking up a chunk of space.
If you have a real tree and are looking to dispose of it, you’re in luck. We have compiled a large list of locations throughout Greater Victoria that will chip your tree for a donation.
- Where: Throughout Greater Victoria, see list here
- When: Saturday, January 7th and 8th, various times
The musical partnership between consummate performer Alasdair Fraser, “the Michael Jordan of Scottish fiddling”, and brilliant Californian cellist Natalie Haas spans the full spectrum between intimate chamber music and ecstatic dance energy.
Over the last 20 years of creating a buzz at festivals and concert halls across the world, they have truly set the standard for fiddle and cello in traditional music. They continue to thrill audiences internationally with their virtuosic playing, their near-telepathic understanding and the joyful spontaneity and sheer physical presence of their music.
- Where: Upstairs Lounge, Oak Bay Recreation Centre, 1975 Bee Street
- When: Saturday, January 7th, 7:30 p.m.
Sit back and enjoy a musical afternoon with Rainshadow Al and Victoria’s talented musicians and singers, on stage to jam a few tunes. If you plan to come out and play, please bring your own instrument and/or microphone.
- Where: The Loft Pub, 229 Gorge Road
- When: Sunday, January 8th, 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.
A beautiful way to get together with friends, celebrate a special day, or meet new people. Did you know that adding exercise to your sauna multiplies the benefits?
- Where: Willows Beach, 2707 Estevan Avenue
- When: Sunday, January 8th, 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Victoria’s most sought after weekly drag show! Hosted by the legendary Shelita Cox, with rotating headliners and appearances.
- Where: Paparazzi Nightclub, 642 Johnson Street
- When: Sunday, January 8th, 8 p.m.
Join the folks at Edelweiss Club for a community ecstatic dance session. Enjoy your own personal dance or spark up creative movement with others
- Where: Victoria Edelweiss Club, 108 Niagara Street
- When: Sunday, January 8th, 11 a.m.