Oh the beloved donair, a staple of maritime food cuisine that has inspired restaurants throughout Canada to join in the messy yet flavourful goodness.
Whether you’re craving the mix of the sweet and spicy wrap, or trying it out for the first time, these five restaurants in Greater Victoria serve up delicious donairs you’ll be sure to remember.
Hands down one of the best donairs you’ll find in the city come from Athena Pizza.
Nobody makes them bigger or better than the folks at Athena served with spicy, sliced beef wrapped in fresh lettuce, tomato, and onion in homemade pita bread. Served with a side order of Tzatiziki Sauce.
- Where: Athena Restuarant, 3945 Quadra Street
- When: Sunday to Thursday, 4 p.m. to 8 p.m., Friday and Saturday, 4 p.m. to 10 p.m.
Whether you’re looking for a greek or traditional Halifax donair, Sarpinos has got you covered. Their premium wraps are toasted carefully and packed with authentic beef and lamb donair meat, diced onions, and ripe tomatoes and served with Halifax garlic sauce
- Where: Sarpinos Pizzeria, 122 Blanshard Street
- Monday and Tuesday, 4 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- Wednesday to Sunday, 4 p.m. to 11 p.m.
- Friday, 4 p.m. to 1 a.m.
Whether it’s donairs or Shwarma on your minds, Maham and Pop’s Donair and Poutine does not miss!
- Where: Maham & Pop’s Donair and Poutine, 2639 Quadra Street B
- When: Monday to Sunday, 11 a.m. to 11 p.m.
Offering chicken, falafel or lamb, Ali Baba is another great option for donairs in the city
- Where: Ali Baba, 775 Fort Street
- When: Monday to Sunday, 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.
For a traditional sitdown experience, Fernwood Pizza offers its own version of the maritime donair, featuring spiced beef, red onion, oven-dried tomatoes, roasted garlic, mozzarella, and Maritime Sweet Donair Sauce.
- Where: Fernwood Pizza, 2009 Fernwood Road
- When: Monday to Sunday, 12 p.m. to 8 p.m., Friday and Saturday, 12 p.m. to 9 p.m.