Happy hump day, Victoria!
The snow has cleared and the sun is shining. With little in the way between you and your daily dose of fun, it’s time to enjoy the first day of March with a local event.
From art socials to comedy nights here are five ways you can enjoy your Wednesday:
Artful: 55+ Art Social with April Caverhill
Bring your art projects and create in a friendly relaxed atmosphere. Enjoy the social aspects of making art together in our cozy studio. Our instructor April will be on hand to provide guidance.
- Where: Art Gallery of Greater Victoria, 1040 Moss Street
- When: Wednesday, March 1st, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Café Historique: Dr Andrew Wender
March’s talk, entitled “Salvation Through Empire: The Changing Shapes of Messianic Imperialism Past, Present, and Future”, will be presented by Dr Andrew Wender, a specialist in Middle Eastern History, World History, and Religion and Law.
He is in both the History and Political Science Departments, and he is also the Director of the Religion, Culture and Society Program at UVic.
- Where: Hermann’s Jazz Club, 753 View Street
- When: Wednesday, March 1st, 7 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Superior Jazz is the perfect Wednesday evening “take five”. This is where some of Victoria’s jazz and blues artists come to play – bringing new music, reinvigorating older music or trying new genres and styles.
- Where: The Church of Truth, 111 Superior Street
- When: Wednesday, March 1st, 7 p.m.
Sonic Jazz: Colin Stetson
Stetson’s astounding physical engagement with his instruments (chiefly bass and alto saxophones) produces emotionally rich and polyphonic compositions that transcend expectations of what solo horn playing can sound like.
For this performance, Colin Stetson will be triggering video and lighting events with his instruments, adding a live visual dimension to his legendary visceral sonic craft.
- Where: Alix Goolden Performance Hall, 907 Pandora Avenue
- When: Wednesday, March 1st, 7:30 p.m. to 10 p.m.
Comedy Night at the Mint
The funniest way to spend a Wednesday is Phillips Comedy Night at The Mint! Each week Morgan Cranny and Drew Farrance bring the most hilarious comedians in the city together for a wonderful evening of food, drink and fun!
- Where: The Mint Restaurant, 1414 Douglas Street
- When: Wednesday, March 1st, 8 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.