This week, students from across the country and internationally will compete in the 5th annual FIRST® Robotics Competition at the Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre.
FIRST Robotics Competition is an annual competition where high school students build, program, and test their machines using engineering, coding, and design skills.
Under strict rules and limited resources, teams raised funds through community outreach, designed a team brand, honed teamwork skills and created a robot that could perform the prescribed tasks against a field of competitors.
When the competition is all said and done, teams with the highest rankings and awards will qualify for the FIRST Robotics Competition World Championships in Houston, Texas, this April.
FIRST is a non-profit organization that inspires young people to pursue science and technology.
“This initiative is a platform for students from all over British Columbia to explore the limitless possibilities in these fields, to pursue careers in science, technology, artificial intelligence, robotics, and fields not yet even defined,” said GSL Group President & CEO Graham Lee.
Entry is free for those interested in attending.
FIRST Robotics Competiton
- Wednesday, March 1st, 8:30 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. – Robot testing and inspection
- Thursday, March 2nd
- 8:30 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. – Opening ceremonies
- 9:20 a.m. – 5:45 p.m. – Qualifying matches
- Friday, March 3rd
- 8:30 a.m. to 9 a.m. – Opening ceremonies and sponsor keynotes
- 9:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. – Qualifying matches
- 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. – Final round matches