We made it to the weekend, Victoria!
Whether you’re looking to grab a bite to eat, enjoy some local entertainment or enjoy a weekend spent getting some fresh air there are plenty of fun activities and events happening in his city for all to enjoy.
From Victoria’s annual toy fair to Pacific FC’s season opener, here are 13 ways you can enjoy your weekend in Victoria.
On Saturday April 15th, the University of Victoria’s Gustavson School of Business will host a free youth entrepreneurship initiative taking place at the Bay Centre.
Organized by professors Dr. Brock Smith and Dr. Claudia Smith, the Kidovate event aims to help youth develop an understanding of business basics and instill a sense of social good at an early age.
Participating youth have access to a free Kidovate graphic workbook, offering guidance on key business decisions for their micro-ventures. Students can also opt to be virtually paired with a Gustavson School of Business student mentor who can help guide them along the way.
- Where: Bay Centre, 1150 Douglas Street
- When: Saturday, April 15th, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
A community-minded 5K open to all ages and abilities. Touted as one of the nicest 5K routes, come and enjoy a beautiful course that takes you through some gorgeous Esquimalt Parks.
This is an excellent race to put your training to the test before the spring and summer run series gets into full swing.
Children of all ages are invited to participate in Esquimalt 1K Kid’s Fun Run! The route travels down Lyall Street from Bullen Park to Macaulay Elementary School and back.
- Where: 1151 Esquimalt Road
- When: Saturday, April 15th, 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
By popular demand, Victoria’s Ultimate Hobby and Toy Fair returns this weekend inviting toy lovers, collectors and retro buffs to come together, browse each table and reconnect with their favourite childhood memories.
- When: Saturday, April 15th and Sunday, April 16th, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Where: Pearkes Arena, 3100 Tillicum Road, Saanich
- Tickets: At the door; Kids free, adults $5/day or $10/weekend pass
This Saturday, the Pacific FC will kick off their season on home turf as they face their rivals Vancouver FC
- Where: Starlight Stadium, 1089 Langford Parkway
- When: Saturday, April 15th, 4 p.m.
This band will have you singing and dancing along to classic Soul, Motown, RnB, blues and more!
The Soul Shakers also feature music from their two independently released albums Love Is Love (2015) and Ready For You (2019).Doors open at 7 p.m.
- Where: Hermann’s Upstairs, 753 View Street
- When: Saturday, April 15th, 8:30 p.m.
Served Up! Is a drag show that aims to bring the art of drag and queer expression out of the downtown core and into Vic West. Expect big emotions, joy, cultural expression, and absolute clownery!
Performers include local drag artists:
- Eddi Licious
- Olivia Leads (she/they)
- Leo Moon (they/them)
- Tomboy Blue (they/he/she)
- Doobie Howser (he/she/they)
Performance goes from 11:30 am – 2:30 pm. Doors open to the event at 11:30 am. Performances begin at 12:00 pm
$15 tickets in advance. $20 tickets at the door
- Where: Moon Under Water Brewpub, 350 Bay Street
- When: Saturday, April 15th, 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Garden City Soul Club is Victoria’s original all vinyl Soul and Funk dance party. You will hear Soul and Funk music from the mid 1960’s to the early 1980’s with a heavy emphasis on Northern Soul rarities. You will also hear the classics from Stax & Motown, as well as Modern Soul bangers and Funky floor fillers all played on 45rpm vinyl records.
There is no dress code however smart dress is strongly encouraged.
Doors and Music will be at 10 p.m. $15.00 dollars at the door.
- Where: Victoria Event Centre, 1415 Broad Street
- When: Saturday, April 15th, 10 p.m.
New to the sport of paddling? This is a great opportunity to try it out before registering for one of the season’s “Greenhorn Dragon Boat” programs, which train on weekends and “graduate” at one of three island dragon boat races.
There is no charge to participate. All are welcome, regardless of any previous paddling experience, to come out and join in the fun.
Bring your family and friends who are interested in trying dragon boating, and we will get them out on the water with some more experienced paddlers.
- Where: Fairway Gorge Paddling Club, 2940 Jutland Road
- When: Sunday, April 16th, 1 p.m.
In celebration of National Eggs Benedict day this Sunday, April 16th, Victoria Buzz took to Facebook to ask readers their opinions on where to order the best eggs benny in town and the results didn’t disappoint.
With more than 600 responses, we’ve narrowed it down to 16 suggestions based on the number of people that recommended the same spot.
- Where: Throughout Greater Victoria
- When: Sunday, April 16th
Tour guide, Chris Adams with Discover The Past Tours, will take guests on a historical walk throughout Downtown Victoria, sharing stories on some of the more interesting and unique elements of our cities past.
- Where: The Drake Eatery, 517 Pandora Avenue
- When: Sunday, April 16th, 2 p.m.
Welcome to The Westshore Swap, Shop, and Market! Come check out our great selection of local sellers every Sunday morning at the Juan De Fuca Recreation Centre Public Library Parking Lot.
- Where: Juan De Fuca Recreation Centre, 1767 Island Highway
- When: Every Sunday, 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Caravan World Rhythms hosts 3 evening of exciting Afro-Cuban & Latin Jazz music with two of Canada’s top group based out of Toronto.
The Juno award winners OKAN led by the charismatic Elizabeth and Magdelys make their 3rd appearance in Victoria, selling out their two previous shows to rave audiences, so this time we are hosting them for two consecutive evenings.
- Where: Hermann’s Jazz Club, 753 View Street
- When: Friday, April 13th to Sunday, April 16th
Join the folks at Edelweiss Club for a community ecstatic dance session. Enjoy your own personal dance or spark up creative movement with others
- Where: Victoria Edelweiss Club, 108 Niagara Street
- When: Sunday, April 16th, 11a.m. to 12:30 p.m.