It’s the last weekend of May, Victoria!
With so many festivals now underway, we know it can be difficult to know where to start!
Keep reading if you’re looking for some highlighted festivals and ways to occupy your sunny days off. We’ve got prawns, drag, live music, dancing, tarot readings, and more!
Here are 16 things to do in and around Victoria this weekend, Saturday, May 27th and Sunday, May 28th:
Spot Prawn Festival
In case you’ve forgotten about this action-packed event, here’s your reminder! The BC Spot Prawn Festival is returning to Macdonald Park in James Bay – there’ll be plenty of rugby and heaps of prawns for your enjoyment.
To add to the fun, there will be live music, over 75 local vendors, and a licensed area as well.
The best part (if you haven’t already found an excuse to go) is that it’s free!
- Where: MacDonald Park, 12 Niagara Street, James Bay
- Saturday, May 27th – 12 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Sunday, May 28th – 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Swiftsure International Yacht Race
Don’t miss the world’s largest yacht race, happening right here in Victoria! Four Long Courses begins at 9 a.m. followed by the start of the Inshore Classic on Saturday, May 27th.
For more detailed information, check out the full schedule.
- 1250 Dallas Road (Clover Point) for the start of the race
- 211 Dallas Road (Ogden Point) for the rest of the race
- Saturday, May 27th
- 8 a.m. pancake breakfast
- 9 a.m. race starts
- Saturday, May 27th
- Sunday, May 28th – race continues
Selkirk Waterfront Festival
From The Kids Fun Zone for the youngins to the beer gardens for the adults, it’s a guaranteed blast for the whole family!
There will also be food venders, local performers, games, and crafts!
- Where: Selkirk Green Park, 350 Waterfront Crescent
- When: Saturday, May 27th from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
African Cultural Week & AfriCa Fest
Come to Centennial Square for the 10th annual AfriCa festival – celebrating Africa’s histories and heritage!
Organized by the Issamba Centre, they invite you to help build creative communities and to experience and learn through dynamic cultural experiences and exchanges.
The festival launched with a Night Market on Friday, May 26th, and runs through Saturday, May 27th and Sunday, May 28th.
- Where: 1 Centennial Square
- When: Saturday, May 27th – Sunday, May 28th from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
RuPaul’s Drag Race, Red Carpet Viewing Party Extravaganza
It’s going to be spicy – come check out the featured RuPaul’s Drag Race stars!
The event is organized by The House of JIMBO, a design studio run by Jimbo and their collective of talented artists, and hosted by the First Metropolitan United Church.
- First Metropolitan United Church, 932 Balmoral Road (main event)
- The House of Jimbo, 1/2 Fisgard Street #551 (afterparty)
- Saturday, May 27th from 5:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. (main event)
- 11 p.m. to late (afterparty)
Battle of the Dad Bands
The much-anticipated musical extravaganza “Battle of the Dad Bands” hosted by the Canadian Cancer Society’s Cops for Cancer, Tour de Rock.
The event will showcase notable bands such as Not 4 Public Consumption, Big Font, and will also feature special guests Last Night in Vegas.
- Where: Capital Ballroom, 858 Yates Street
- When: Saturday, May 27th doors open at 7 p.m. , show starts at 8 p.m.
Sealion Medieval Market
The Medieval Market is expected to host 30 local crafters selling fantasy and medieval themed products including fabrics, hand crafted knives, and soaps.
For those interested in participating in the activities, Jen Peters the event organizer says eager guests will be able to get a closer look by signing a safety waiver and paying an extra fee.
- Where: Heritage Acres, 7321 Lochside Drive
- When: Saturday, May 27th, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Fired Up! Ceramic Art Show
Support the artists for the 37th annual show and sale!
The clay masterpieces are set in a wood-firing anagama kiln and blasted with intense heat for three days straight – no breaks! Stop in to browse or take home your very own unique piece of ceramic artwork.
- Where: Metchosin Community Hall, 4401 William Head Road
- When: Saturday, May 27th – Sunday, May 28th from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Cream Bazaar Market
Not only will this market feature a tarot reader, there will also be vendors and a 19th century camera setup for your chance to be transported back in time.
Shop your way around the market and grab enough repurposed vintage to fill all of your tote bags!
- Where: Fernwood Square, Gladstone Avenue and Fernwood Road
- When: Saturday, May 27th at 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Hecklers: Live Stand up Comedy
Come to laugh and wind down after a long week! A cold drink and some prime jokes are the perfect cure.
Tickets are $21 on Eventbrite.
- Where: 123 Gorge Road East
- When: Saturday, May 27th
- 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. (early show)
- 10 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. (late show)
Family Favourites at Cineplex
To kick off their $2.99 movie specials, they’re featuring Katak the Brave Beluga on Saturday, May 27th.
The movie will run in the morning, with the times to be announced here.
- Where: Cineplex Odeon, SilverCity Victoria Cinemas, and the Cineplex at the Westshore Town Centre
- When: Saturday, May 27th
Indigenous Plant Walk
Join instructor, PEPAḴIYE Ashley Cooper (Tsartlip First Nation) on an educational plant walk. The focus will be on native species that grow at the Compost Education Centre and their traditional uses.
Tickets can be purchased on Eventbrite – prices vary.
- Where: 1216 N Park Street
- When: Saturday, May 27th from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.
The Pretzel Logic Orchestra at Hermann’s Jazz Club
Put jazz musicians and funky rock musicians together and you get The Pretzel Logic Orchestra.
As described, their jazz-rock fusion has what’s needed to present the complex and quirky music of Steely Dan.
- Where: 753 View Street
- When: Saturday, May 27th from 7 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. (doors open at 5:30)
Fallen Fest Victoria
You’re in for a wild ride! Hosted by the Phoenix Bar and Grill, this festival mixes Metal, Punk, Rock, and Drag to create one spectacular show. Come check out their extensive list of performers!
This is their 2nd annual show – you can purchase tickets on Eventbrite for approximately $17.
- Where: 3944 Quadra Street
- When: Saturday, May 27th at 5 p.m.
Flamenco Tablao at The Mint
Get your dancing shoes ready – an evening of flamenco music is going to feature at The Mint this Sunday, May 28th!
Enjoy the live flamenco performances and treat yourself to drinks and food served at The Mint.
Tickets are $30 per person to reserve a table and $25 if you plan on coming alone!
- Where: 1414 Douglas Street
- When: Sunday, May 28th from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. (doors open at 6:15 p.m.)
Grand Opening of the West Bay Café
This health-conscious café with an ocean view is opening in Esquimalt on Saturday, May 27th!
Owner, Rox Thomas invites you to come and say hello! She offers a collection of delicious, organic foods – foods that can be enjoyed even by those who have celiac disease, like her.
Come try a pastry and sip on some coffee while you bask in the sun!
- Where: Unit 108 – 474 Head Street
- Grand opening on Saturday, May 27th, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Regular hours may vary