It’s Friyay and it’s time to enjoy the weekend, Victoria!
Although Cinco de Mayo is not just about tacos and tequila, it sure is a great excuse to partake in both.
Cinco de Mayo is celebrated on May 5th around the world, and actually means “fifth of May”—it’s known as a festival of Mexican heritage and pride that celebrates the victory of Mexico over France in 1862 at the Battle of Puebla.
No matter what you choose to kick off the weekend, make sure you enjoy it! Here are five things to do in and around Victoria today, Friday May 5th:
Live music. Life Gets Interesting Tour. With New Friends & Sofia Camera
- Where: Wicket Hall, 919 Douglas Street
- When: Friday, May 5th, Doors open at 7 p.m., show starts at 7:30 p.m.
Support local Mexican restaurants
Places like Benjo’s Tacos, Ay Mi Mexico!, and La Taqueria are just a few of the many gems within the city – each bursting with authentic flavors and lively atmospheres!
- Where: Any authentic Mexican restaurant will do, follow your stomach
- When: Flexible – but go this weekend!
Calling on all lovers of rhythm and dance! A live Latin band and traditional dancers are coming to Puerto Vallarta Amigos. Not only will you be able to enjoy some delicious food (and maybe a drink or two), you’ll also be fully immersed in an authentic Latina atmosphere.
- Where: Puerto Vallarta Amigos at Fisherman’s Wharf
- When: Friday, May 5th at 6:30 p.m.
Hoping to kick off the weekend with some literature-inspired beer? Well, Small Gods Brewing is inviting all beer and food enthusiasts down to join their all-day celebration, topped with a curated Cinco de Mayo playlist.
- Where: Small Gods Brewing, 9835 Third Street, Sidney
- When: Friday, May 5th – all day long
Victoria’s That’s So Drag is back with their 3rd event, starring Canada’s Drag Race season 3 winner, Vivian Vanderpuss, and Newfoundland’s iconic Irma Gerd.
Joining them are returning hosts Honey Dewme and Eddi Licious, and newcomer Lola Maneata. Don’t miss this unforgettable show and get your tickets now!
- Where: Capital Ballroom, 858 Yates Street
- When: Friday, May 5th, doors open at 8 p.m., show starts at 9 p.m.