Langford Fire Department is urging residents to exercise caution and adhere to fire safety practices after responding to multiple fires caused by cigarettes last week.
Over the course of a week, the fire department said they responded to seven preventable fires due to improperly discarded cigarette butts.
One of fires started on a balcony which could have spread and put multiple townhomes at risk, had it not been discovered quickly.
“As a reminder, gardens, planters, flower pots, combustible containers, etc are for plants, trees, flowers and NOT cigarette butts,” Langford Fire Rescue said in a tweet.
7 days 7 preventable fires Langford has attended. Each fire was the result of improperly discarded cigarette butts and or smoking type material. One of which was on a balcony that could have resulted in the loss of multiple townhomes. pic.twitter.com/6nKlf5A6yJ
— Langford Fire Rescue (@LangfordFire) May 22, 2023
The incidents serve as a stark reminder of the devastating consequences that can result from such preventable accidents.
In light of this alarming trend, those dousing cigarette butts should keep the following in mind:
- Fully extinguish cigarettes: Ensure that cigarettes are completely extinguished before discarding them. Use designated ashtrays or designated containers filled with sand or water.
- Never discard cigarettes in vegetation or outdoor debris: Avoid disposing of cigarettes in dry or flammable areas, such as grass, flower beds, or mulch piles. A single spark can quickly ignite a dangerous blaze.
- Raise awareness and educate: Share fire safety information with friends, family, and neighbors to create awareness about the importance of responsible cigarette disposal.
By adhering to these simple yet critical practices, residents can significantly reduce the risk of fire incidents and contribute to the overall safety of the community, especially as fire season ramps up in the region.