Attention nature enthusiasts—this is a celebration you won’t want to miss!
Put your hands together for the Victoria Harbour Migratory Bird Sanctuary’s (VHMBS) 100th anniversary and join in their celebration from Thursday, October 26th to Saturday, October 28th.
You get to pick and choose the events you’d like to be a part of and get the chance to tour places such as Gorge Park, Beacon Hill Park, Cattle Point and Swan Lake Nature Sanctuary, and Cattle Point.
Each day will bring a range of different social and/or educational opportunities including field trips, workshops, and guest speakers!
Thursday’s evening soiree will be held at the Delta Hotels Victoria Ocean Pointe Resort from 7 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. and will include a free drink ticket and appetizers.
Tickets can be purchased here.
The main anniversary event will occur on Friday, October 27th from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. at Gorge Park Pavillion and will include a provided lunch, a Lekwungen welcome followed by presentations, workshops, and opportunities to explore the Gorge Waterway.
In the evening, you’ll be invited to the evening celebration with a bar buffet dinner, a guest speaker, VHMBS birthday cake, and Celtic music!
Registration for Friday’s events is $190 and will include the above as well as the field trips on Friday and Saturday.
Friday and Saturday’s field trips are scheduled to happen at varying times and include the following ventures: Eagle Wing Tour, Bird Walk: Uplands Park with Cattle Point, Restoration in Esquimalt Gorge Park – the Past, Present and Future, Lək̓ʷəŋən (Lekwungen) Walking Tour, and much more!
The boat Eagle Wing Tour costs an additional $147 on top of the general registration fee.
From 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday, October 28th, events are family-friendly and free of charge and will take place at Gorge Park, Beacon Hill Park, Cattle Point and Swan Lake Nature Sanctuary, and Cattle Point.
Established in 1923 to control the over-hunting of birds, the Sanctuary has become a critical staple for protecting wildlife habitat and species conservation.
It’s home to valuable wildlife that goes beyond the protection of birds—including fish, mammals, crustaceans, plants, and other organisms including several federally designated species at risk.
This marks a huge accomplishment for VHMBS and they hope to see you there!
- Where: Locations vary—but the main anniversary event on Friday, October 27th is at Gorge Pavilion, 1070 Tillicum Road
- When: Thursday, October 26th to Saturday, October 28th—times and locations vary depending on the events you register for/choose to participate in
- Cost Breakdown:
- Thursday, October 26th evening soiree: $50
- Friday, October 27th day-long celebration: $190
- This fee includes Friday and Saturday field trips (except Eagle Tour, which is an additional $147)
- Saturday, October 28th family-friendly events and workshops: FREE (suggested donation of $5 if you choose to do the Swan Lake Christmas Hill Nature Sanctuary walk)