The District of Saanich is looking for your input on how best to provide and regulate additional housing options.
Officials are looking at garden suites as a source of permanent rental housing supply, in a saturated rental market – these suites are currently not allowed in the district.
In an effort to add these secondary suites to the amount of choices available to people looking to live in Saanich, the municipality is discussing potential regulations for them, and invites community members to add their voice to the conversation.
“As housing in our region becomes increasingly unaffordable, Saanich is looking for solutions that diversify and increase the opportunities for everyone,” stated Mayor Richard Atwell.
“Public input is important and it will help to inform the draft regulations. I encourage all residents to participate.”
To this end, the council has announced that it will be hosting two open house sessions to gather public opinion. In the coming weeks, they will also release a survey, and hold pop-up displays to reach a wider section of the community.
- When: Saturday, March 17th, 2 PM – 5 PM
- Where: Gordon Head Recreation Centre auditorium, 4100 Lambrick Way
- Note: Brief presentation at 2:30 PM. Staff will provide activities for children 12 and under.
- When: Tuesday, March 20th, 4 PM – 7 PM
- Where: Saanich Commonwealth Place, Douglas Fir Room, 4636 Elk Lake Drive
- Note: Brief presentation at 5 PM.