There’s no shortage of awesome things to do this weekend! From light up parades, live shows, perogies, and so much more.
If you’ve started your holiday shopping, there’s plenty of unique fairs to explore too!
Without further ado, here’s 15 things to dio in and around Victoria this weekend.
The 27th Annual Festival of Trees at the Bay Centre has begun! See the Bay Centre transformed into a glowing forest of hand-decorated trees. Share in the spirit by voting for your favourite (like ours ), with all proceeds supporting the most urgent health care needs of kids in BC.
Trees will be on display at the Bay Centre starting November 15, 2018, through January 7, 2019.
- When: 10 a.m. – 9 p.m. (during shopping centre hours)
- Where: The Bay Centre
This fun charitable event will showcase the gingerbread houses of both professional and amateur bakers.
Vote for your favourite sugary structure, and all donations will go towards Habitat Victoria’s Build Program for families in need. Last year, they had over 25,000 visitors and more than $51,000 was raised!
- When: On now until Sunday, January 6th, 2019 – 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Where: The Parkside Hotel & Spa – 810 Humboldt Street
Kick off your weekend and the holiday season with a classic Victoria tradition – the 37th annual Island Farms Santa’s Light Parade! The parade will include awesome floats, bands, and entertainment, just make sure you’re there in time to grab some great seats!
If you can’t make it downtown but still want to watch the festivities, don’t worry, Victoria Buzz is the official broadcaster for this year’s parade.
- When: Saturday, November 24th, 2018
- 4:00 – 8:30 p.m. – Christmas Square
- 5:00 p.m. – Parade begins
- 7:00 p.m. – Christmas Tree Light Up
- Where: The parade commences at Belleville and Government and continues along Government until Chatham.
90s Night at the Victoria Event Centre is all about friends, fun, and a big dose of nostalgia! Grab a drink from VEC’s bar, or play games on a classic video game console like the Atari, NES, Super Nintendo, and Nintendo 64 consoles. There’s also dozens of board games, foosball, and ping pong!
- When: Saturday, November 24 – 8pm-1am (at 10pm the 90’s dance party starts!)
- Where: Victoria Event Centre, 1415 Broad Street
Big Bad John’s is a Victoria staple, and has been serving cold beer and complimentary peanuts since 1962. This Saturday, BBJ’s is holding their third Big Bad John’s day, which promises door prizes and a free limited-edition commemorative postcard for everyone that attends this year’s event.
- When: 12 noon – 2 a.m., Saturday, November 24th
- Where: Big Bad John’s, 919 Douglas St
The Royal B.C. Museum currently has an Egyptian Exhibit on display, and tomorrow, you can join Camosun College’s Anthropology of Death class and participate in a mock Egyptian funeral.
“The Egyptians had a vivid understanding of the afterlife and rich, complex rituals to ensure the soul (called the Ka) arrived there,” reads the event description.
- When: Saturday, November 24th, 1 p.m. – 3 p.m.
- Where: The Royal B.C. Museum, 675 Belleville Street
This local fair trade fair has been in Victoria for over 20 years! Visitors can expect both awesome ethically-made goods and education on fair trade industries.
- When: Saturday, November 24th, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Where: First Metropolitan United Church Hall, 932 Balmoral Road
How does sitting around a warm fire overlooking the inner harbour while roasting marshmallows sound? You can sip on warm holiday drinks and snack on classic holiday bites down at the Empress, perfect for a date night or activity with friends.
- When: Saturday, November 24th, 4 p.m – Close
- Where: The Veranda at The Empress, 721 Government Street
Come learn how to make perogies with Perogie Pinchers of Victoria! Visitors will be taught how to make this delicious delicacy in a traditional Ukrainian style that dates back to 1863. Attendees will make about 24 perogies each, and will go home with them plus the knowledge of how to make this authentic dish. Don’t forget to bring an apron!
- When: Saturday, November 24th, 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.
- Where: James Bay United Church, 511 Michigan Street
Out of Hand is one of Victoria’s biggest and baddest craft fairs on the Island, and it’s only grown for this year. 125 artists and makers from across western Canada are participating. If you’re keeping an eye out for Christmas presents, look no further.
- When: Friday, November 23rd, 10 a.m. – 9 p.m.
Saturday, November 24th, 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Sunday, November 25th, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Where: Victoria Conference Centre, 720 Douglas St
Peek Fest is a new festival for emerging performing artists in Victoria. The festival offers a special combination of exciting new looks at works-in-development while also growing the artistic development of local artists.
- When: Saturday, November 24th, 12 p.m. – 10 p.m.
Sunday, November 25th, 10 a.m. – 8 p.m
- Where: Intrepid Theatre, 1609 Blanshard Street
Victoria’s Laughs on Tap is hosting its third roast battle night. Watch professional comedians go head to head and decide for yourself who deserves the victory.
“There’s sound effects, there’s jokes and yes there is people’s feelings getting hurt all for your entertainment,” says Laughs on Tap.
- When: Sunday, November 25th, 8 p.m. – 10 p.m.
- Where: 759 Yates Street
UVic musicians are excited to perform their “Twilight: Between the Blues & Bebop” concert. Audience members can expect fun-filled evening of both original arrangements and timeless classics.
- When: Sunday, November 25th, 7 p.m. – 9 p.m.
- Where: Phillip T. Young Recital Hall at UVic, 3800 Finnerty Road
Join Mission Accomplished K9 Services on a free walk with your favourite furry friend. The walk is geared towards nervous/fearful, overly excited, or reactive dogs who need to work on their social skills. This is a great walk for people who want to train their dogs in a non-judgmental environment!
- When: Sunday, November 25th, 10 a.m.
- Where: Walkers should meet in the field to the right of Cedar Hill Rec Centre, 3220 Cedar Hill Rd
Head on down to Oak Bay for their 18th annual holiday light up. There will be activities, street food, live music, and of course the beautiful evening light up.
- When: Sunday, November 25th, 2 p.m. – 6 p.m.
- Where: Oak Bay Village