Celebrate The Year of the Monkey in Victoria this week! The Chinese New Year began on February 8, 2016, and we have you covered for what’s on! From gala dinners to special tours. And don’t miss Sunday’s traditional dances in Chinatown, an event that truly kicks off the year!
Chinese New Year Afternoon Tea
- What: Enjoy afternoon tea at the Pacific Restaurant, this tea features Chef Rick Choy’s dim sum, savoury and sweet items inspired by the Chinese New Year, as well as limited edition Chinese teas from Silk Road. $45/person, reservation required please call 250-380-4458. View menu here.
- When: Daily until Thursday February 11 from 12:00-4:30pm
- Where: Grand Pacific Hotel, 463 Belleville Street
Silk Roads tea cocktail recipe here, in celebration of Chinese New Year. Sip and enjoy.
Chinese New Year Gala Dinner & Live Auction
- What: The Victoria Chinese Commerce Association celebrates the Year of the Monkey with a gala dinner and live auction. Tickets available here – $65/person or $650 for a table of 10. Supporting United Way Greater Victoria.
- When: Wednesday February 10, reception at 5:30pm
- Where: Don Mee Seafood Restaurant, 538 Fisgard Street
Chinese New Year Lion Dance
- What: Take part in this annual ceremonial Lion Dance near the Gates of Harmonious Interest. Dance will feature kung-fu, tai chi demonstrations, traditional dancing and dragon dance performances.
- When: Sunday February 14, event begins at 11:00am
- Where: Chinatown, Fisgard Street
Chinese New Year at The Royal BC Museum
- What: In celebration of Chinese New Year, the museum will display a newly restored artifact significant to the story of Chinese in British Columbia. For more information read RBC museum blog here.
- When: Thursday February 19
- Where: Royal BC Museum, 675 Belleville Street
The Chinese Community in BC – Spotlight Tour
- What: In honour of Chinese New Year, a 30 minute spotlight tour will be taking place of the Becoming BC Gallery at the Royal BC Museum. Stops in Chinatown, the railway and the cannery will help illustrate the contribution of the Chinese Community to the history of the province.
- When: Tuesday February 9 and Thursday February 11 from 11:00-11:30am
- Where: Royal BC Museum, 675 Belleville Street – 3rd floor
Let us know in the comments below if we missed something!