Steve Grimmett’s Grim Reaper is fronted by Steve Grimmett, the vocalist that brought you such Grim Reaper classics as “See you in Hell” and “Rock you to Hell.” They will be making their Victoria debut on October 16 at Upstairs Cabaret.
With them come the Boys in Roadrash – band, fresh off their west coast tour, as well as Victoria veterans Electric Druids.
- What: 8 p.m. to 12 p.m.
- Where: Upstairs Cabaret – #15 Bastion Square
A cinematic meditation on humanity’s massive re-engineering of the planet, Anthropocene is a four-years-in-the-making feature documentary film from the multiple-award-winning team of Jennifer Baichwal, Nicholas de Pencier, and Edward Burtynsky.
- When: 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Where: Cinecenta Films – Student Union Bldg – 3800 Finnerty Rd
Are you a UVic student or Staff member and want to learn more about how doodling or Sketchnoting can help you get better grades? If so, then this hands-on workshop will give you an introduction to Sketchnoting.
- When: 10 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- Where: Mearns Centre for Learning – Mcpherson Library, 3rd Floor – 3800 Finnerty Road
Gareth started cartooning when he discovered comic books in 1978. He was five years old. He grew up to not only own a comic book shop but also to draw comic books for a living. He has also taught cartooning classes for the past 20 years at such venues as The Art Gallery of Greater Victoria, The Royal British Columbia Museum, The Robert Bateman Centre, Poppet Creative, The YMCA, and in his own cartooning school at Legends Comics’ Back Room Studio. Join him for these fun sessions at Oaklands Community Centre where he’ll show his techniques and tricks to creating interesting cartoons, comic strips, and comic books. Creating characters, drawing with ink and ink wash, and telling stories about being a globe-trotting cartoon journeyman. Gareth is perhaps most well known for The Perogy Cat and The Monster Sisters, but wouldn’t be surprised if you’ve never heard of him at all. No experience required.
- When: 6 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Where: Oaklands Community Association – 1-2827 Belmont Ave.
- When: October 12th to 31st
- Sunday thru Thursday| 6:30 p.m. – 11:00 p.m.
- Fridays, Saturdays, and Halloween| 6:00 p.m. – 11:30 p.m.
- Where: 203 Dallas Road, Pier A, Ogden Point