With southern resident killer whale populations declining in BC, four Vancouver Island breweries have teamed up to create a beer pack that raises funds to help protect the endangered marine mammals.
The beer pack, called Pod Pack, was created by the Vancouver Island Brewing Company and combines four different beers from four distinct island breweries.
The four breweries and their beer flavours — which were named after southern resident killer whales that live near the island’s shores — are:
- Mystic by Île Sauvage Brewing – Victoria, BC
- Deadhead by Land and Sea Brewing – Comox, BC
- Ocean Sun by White Sails Brewing – Nanaimo, BC
- Rainshadow by Twin City Brewing – Port Alberni, BC
Each beer in the four-pack will come in a 16 oz tall can that features art inspired by orcas.
The box packaging is also a custom print that resembles a killer whale, created by the Great Little Box Company, a Western-Canadian business.
One dollar from each Pod Pack purchased will go towards the Pacific Salmon Foundation, an environmental non-profit that focuses on the conservation and restoration of wild Pacific salmon, which is a vital food source for orcas.
Residents can purchase a Pod Pack at any private liquor store on the island and most BC liquor stores.
- 3 more Southern Resident killer whales near Vancouver Island have died this year
- Baby orca born near Tofino confirmed to be a girl