This year, the annual GoodLife Fitness Victoria Marathon turns 40 years old and it shows no signs of stopping as over 8,000 runners and joggers are expected to participate in the event.
As with every year, participants can choose between running a full 42.195K marathon, a half marathon, an 8K road race, and other featured races like Thrifty Foods Kids Run.
See also: Vancouver Island Man sets new marathon record for Canada
For those who plan to drive through downtown Victoria or Oak Bay, there will be several detours as well as road closures that may hinder your commute.
Police patrolled intermittent access will be provided across the race route at the following locations:
- Yates/Douglas and Yates/Blanshard
- Cook/Fort and Fairfield/Cooke
- Foul Bay at Richardson/McNeill
Full road closures will remain in effect while runners pass at the following locations – the times listed in the schedule are an approximation.
Road closure schedule (Victoria)
- 7:45 a.m.– 8:20 a.m. Menzies–Simcoe–Government (Along Menzies to Simcoe, along Simcoe to Government and along Government from Simcoe to Superior)
- 8:00 a.m.–8:30 a.m. and 8:40 – 9:05 a.m. Government from Humboldt to Yates
- 8:05 a.m.– 8:40 a.m. and 8:50 a.m.– 9:20 a.m. Yates from Government to Cook
- 8:05 a.m.– 8:45 a.m. and 8:50 a.m.– 9:25 a.m. Cook (Southbound) from Yates to Fort
- 8:55 a.m. – 9:45 a.m. Cook (Southbound) from Fort to Park Blvd Cook (Northbound) between Oscar and Park Blvd
- 8:10 a.m.– 10:00 a.m. Park Blvd
- 8:10 a.m.– 9:15 a.m. Heywood Ave–Southgate from Park Blvd to Arbutus Avenue
- 8:15 – 9:45 a.m. Arbutus–Bridge–Circle–Camas–Heywood Way — Beacon Hill Park
- 8:10 – 9:45 a.m. Douglas between Toronto and Dallas (**Except BC Transit)
- 8:20 a.m.–10:00 a.m. Cook between Park Blvd and Dallas Road
- 8:20 a.m.– 1:15 p.m. Dallas–Hollywood–Crescent between Douglas and Irving
- 8:30 a.m.– 1:00 p.m. Robertson – Lillian –Richmond–Richardson between Crescent and Foul Bay
- 8:35 a.m.–11:00 p.m. Lawndale–Quamichan–Cowichan from Richardson to Richardson
Road closure schedule (Oak Bay)
- 8:40 a.m.–12:40 p.m. McNeill–Hampshire–Granite–Mitchell between Foul Bay and Oak Bay Ave
- 8:45 a.m.–12:25 p.m. Oak Bay between Mitchell and Monterey – closed Eastbound Oak Bay Avenue will be open westbound lane only.
- 8:50 a.m.–12:20 p.m. Monterey–Windsor–Oliver between Oak Bay Ave and Beach Drive
- 8:55 a.m.– 12:10 p.m. Beach Drive between Oliver and Windsor
- 9:05 a.m.–11:35 a.m. Beach Drive between Windsor and Exeter
- 9:15 a.m.–11:05 a.m. Exeter Road 0850–1345 Dallas between Douglas and Erie
- 8:55 a.m.–2:00 p.m. Erie–St Lawrence–Kingston–Montreal–Quebec–Pendray–Belleville
- 10:00 a.m.–10:45 a.m. Superior from Menzies to Montreal
- 10:15 a.m.–11:30 a.m. Montreal Street (from Superior to Kingston) Kingston (from Montreal to Menzies) – Rolling Opening
Click here for more details about the course.