Prepare yourself for wings and beer — it’s Super Bowl Sunday! Yes, the annual tradition of millions of people talking about football (and millions more talking about why they don’t like football) is taking place this weekend, and Victoria Buzz has all the info you need to make it the best one yet.
If that doesn’t interest you, check out one of the other 15 amazing events taking place this weekend, February 1st and 2nd!
The big day is here, with all the action and advertisements you could ask for. This is a classic defense meets offense game, as the stingy San Francisco 49ers come up against the prolific Kansas City Chiefs. With both teams in red-hot form, this is sure to be a Super Bowl for the ages.
There are viewing parties all around the city — check out our article for info on 15 of them!
- When: Sunday, February 2nd, 5:00 p.m. onwards
- Where: Check here for locations around the city
Operating “the place where where synth-pop meets old soul and scrappy meets sexy,” according to NPR, Begonia is Alexa Dirks, and their music feels like something we’ve all been waiting for the chance to say, but couldn’t quite phrase — a throwback to something that’s never existed before.
With the wonderful Sam Lynch opening, this is sure to be a phenomenal night of sultry and thoughtful music.
- When: Sunday, February 2nd, doors at 8:00 p.m.
- Where: Lucky Bar, 517 Yates Street
“The thing is, this thing is all it is…” engages with the experience of materials. In the art show, sculptures composed of wood and plastic will populate parts of the floor, and light bulbs will emit a soft glow from the shapes. The show attempts to create a peculiar circumstance for the viewer through the abstraction of visual elements.
- Saturday, February 1st, 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Sunday, February 2nd, 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Where: Devonshire Studio Gallery, 858 Devonshire Road
The Choir, The Chorus, and The Mini-Choir sing a new repertoire that is all fun and feels. Don’t miss their bold arrangements of music by: R.E.M., Björk, The Beatles, Lucy Dacus and more spectacular artists, along with amazing talents Luca Fogale, Laura Mitic (Carmanah), and the Cascadia Quartet!
- When: Saturday, February 1st, from 7:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- Where: Alix Goolden Hall, 907 Pandora Avenue
Welcome to the first step of your next grand adventure. The Hunt will take place starting on Feb 1st and end on Feb 29th 2020, and the breakdown of quests, clues, and bonus encounters will be sent out on the morning of 1 Feb 2020. The Hunt may only take you a few days or you can spread the journey out over a couple of weeks.
And, of course, there will be a Grand Prize and prizes for second and third place based off points earned and locations found!
- When: The Hunt starts Saturday, February 1st, at 8:00 a.m.
- Where: All around Victoria
Raven will be in Victoria, B.C. to tell stories from his crazy career in the world of pro-wrestling! Stories from ECW, WCW, WWF/WWE, TNA, and more. There will also be a Q&A with the audience and a limited Meet & Greet!
- When: Saturday, February 1st, doors at 6:30 p.m., event at 7:30 p.m.
- Where: Upstairs Cabaret, 15 Bastion Square
Prohibition blues and old timey swing is the order of the day with this group of delightful gents. This is a great night for dining, drinking and dancing! Or simply sit back, sip a cocktail, and enjoy the good energy from a great band.
- When: Saturday, February 1st, music at 8:30 p.m.
- Where: Northern Quarter, 1724 Douglas Street
Fancy watching some rugby instead of football? The Irish Times have got you covered. The Six Nations tournament runs every weekend from February 1st until March 14th. You can head to the pub with a game day pass or an all-access pass, with reservations available now!
- When: February 1st until March 14th
- Where: Irish Times, 1200 Government Street
The oneTree 2019 exhibit will feature the work of almost 80 artisans that have all created their work from a single, salvaged Maple tree.
The artwork includes boxes, chairs, tables, and sculptures, all made from the wood of a single tree.
- When: December 17th, 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., running until February 29th, 2020
- Where: Bateman Foundation Gallery of Nature, 470 Belleville Street
This weekly program introduces children ages 3 – 5 to the fun world of museum learning. Each week’s program revolves around a new theme, encouraging children to learn through crafts, play, song, and dance.
- When: Saturday, February 1st, 11:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
- Where: Maritime Museum of B.C., 634 Humboldt Street
This fun, informative and interactive two-hour workshop introduces you to the wonderful world cold-process soap-making! Whether you are interested in making soap for fun and gifting, as a new hobby, or help to launch your own soap making business at a local market, you’ll find everything you need at this workshop!
- When: Saturday, February 1st, 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Where: The Good Planet Company, 764 Fort Street
Join Oliver Swain, Twin Bandit, Annie Lou and Jesse Cobb for a night of Americana Music at Hermann’s Jazz Club. From The Appalachians to the Delta, The Texas Roadhouses to Chesapeake Bay, Americana music encompasses all the good seeds in the breadbasket of North American music!
- When: Saturday, February 1st, 7:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m.
- Where: Hermann’s Jazz Club, 753 View Street
Beautiful: The Carole King Musical tells the inspiring true story of King’s remarkable rise to stardom, from being part of a hit songwriting team with her husband Gerry Goffin, to her relationship with fellow writers and best friends Cynthia Weil and Barry Mann, and becoming one of the most successful solo acts in popular music history. Along the way, she made more than beautiful music — she wrote the soundtrack to a generation.
- Saturday, February 1st at 2:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m.
- Sunday, February 2nd at 2:00 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
- Where: Royal Theatre, 805 Broughton Street
This five-part film series, which began on January 25th, takes a never-before-seen look at the golden years in the animal kingdom against the extraordinary backdrop of some of the world’s most magnificent wilderness areas.
- When: Saturday, February 1st, 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Where: Royal BC Museum, 675 Belleville Street
This 2-hour tour begins at the Victoria Public Market and includes stops at The Gates of Harmonious Interest, Fan Tan Alley, Market Square, Bastion Square, Trounce Alley, Government St., and the Inner Harbour Causeway.
Depending on the day, there are between 6-8 tastings along the route, as we discuss the history and quirks of beautiful Victoria, B.C. Tastings can include bread, pierogis, meatballs, craft beer, macarons, chocolate, and much more!
- When: February 1st and 2nd, 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Where: Starts at the Victoria Public Market, 1701 Douglas Street #6
When Raven Became Spider
Coming to Open Space after a critically-acclaimed nation-wide tour, When Raven Became Spider brings together work from six Indigenous artists who transpose supernatural beings from Indigenous stories into the realm of superhero comics.
On Saturday, curator Leena Minifie will give a talk on the new exhibition, a great chance to gain insight on the incredible work.
- When: Saturday, February 1st, 12:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Where: Open Space Gallery, 510 Fort Street