Several buildings, parking lots, and a section of Ring Road at the University of Victoria were closed to the public Thursday afternoon due to a ruptured gas line.
The natural gas leak was caused by construction equipment, according to a statement from the university.
The Fine Arts, Phoenix Theatre and Visual Arts buildings were evacuated after a two-inch gas line was punctured during excavation in parking lot 10.
Oak Bay Fire Department and Fortis Gas were called on site to solve the issue.
Fortunately there were no injuries as a result of the leak, but the university asks people to avoid the area while work is ongoing.
As of 3:40 p.m., Ring Road between McGill Road and University Way was shut down, including parking lots 6, 8, 9, 10 and E.
The majority of staff and students partaking in the summer session at UVic were not on campus when the incident occurred, as classes were moved online due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
For those who do need to be on campus, the roads and buildings are expected to re-open between 5 to 6 p.m.