Chief Mike Wyse Snuneymuxw
(Chief Mike Wyse, via Snuneymuxw First Nation)

Four new cases have been confirmed in the Snuneymuxw First Nation COVID-19 cluster, bringing the total of active cases to 16.

The update was announced on Monday on the Nation’s Facebook page, in a letter addressed from Chief Mike Wyse.

Wyse says that the affected individuals are currently isolating and Island Health nurses are conducting daily check-ins with them and their families.

“Now more than ever, it is extremely important for everyone in our community to significantly reduce interactions with people outside of the household and decrease movement within the community,” Wyse said in the letter.

He went on to say that more people in the community are taking COVID-19 tests and a mobile testing site will be located in the Nation for a short period of time.

Information on the date, time and location of mobile testing will be posted to Snuneymuxw First Nation’s communication channels.

Wyse also said that plans are underway to arrange essential grocery delivery to Snuneymuxw families who are most in need.

“Many local organizations have offered to help — and deliver bulk orders of food boxes to our community,” he said.

“On behalf of our Nation, I thank them for their good heart to support our people.”

The first case of COVID-19 in Snuneymuxw First Nation was reported on December 30th.

Since then, the Nation has posted daily updates showing a rise in confirmed cases and has issued a shelter-in-place order, as well as closures of the local school and public buildings.

Stay in the loop! Get Victoria Buzz news, events and more directly to your inbox. Every day.